1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Newbie from the So Cal mountains!

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by C. Alan, Oct 25, 2011.

1. C. Alan

C. Alan New Member

So yesterday I pulled the trigger on a new-to-me 1999 4x4 Suburban 2500. I live at 4,200 feet in the Tehachapi Mountains between Mojave and Bakersfield in southern/central California. I have been getting by without 4x4 for several years during the snow season, but over the summer we moved into a comunity that has a bad habit of requiring chains every time the snow flies. I also have 4 kids and one more on the way, so even though this won't be a daily driver, lots of seating is a bonus for me.

I know the 5.7L is not the first choice for towing, but I may end up doing some anyway. My wife wants a travel trailer, and in the next few years I may endulge her. The problem may be finding one that can sleep 7 and still comes in under 7,000 pounds fully loaded.

The only complaint issue I have with the truck is there is an oil leak at the front of the engine. I at first thought it was the front seal, but after poking around for a bit, I think the oil is coming from the intake manifold gasket. The passenger side of the engine has a pretty good coating of oil on it. Changing an intake manifold gasket is not beyond my mechanical skills, but I would like to make sure of the origin of the oil before I tear into the truck.

Is there anywhere else on the front of the vortec 5.7l engine that could be leaking oil?

Thanks,
    C. Alan

2. Caddiac

Caddiac Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Welcome aboard and congratulations on the Burb. A community that 'requires' chains when the snow flies? We have a place where we keep people that attempt to drive in winter weather conditions without the skills or the equipment. It is called the ditch so we do not need a requirement for chains LOL. If you have a lot of oil build up, I would get the engine cleaned and then inspect it after every trip to see if you can pin it down. Good luck!

3. C. Alan

C. Alan New Member

Unfortunately, I think the ditch would be a far better place for a lot of drivers around here in snow, or dry weather for that matter. However, it seems to be the west coast mentality that Mother California must save you from yourself.

Back on topic: The leak from the front looks like it has been going on a while, and it has soaked part of the front suspension in oil. I may have to take it down to the car wash this weekend and try to clean it off.
    --C. Alan

4. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the Club!!

5. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the G M T C ! The "350R" engine had a problem with gasket leak at the back of the intake manifold, but I'm not aware of any others. You might want to post in the "tech' forums" for more ideas.

6. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcome aboard!

7. canislupis69

canislupis69 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club and congrats.

8. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the site!

9. silverhobey

silverhobey Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

welcome to the club/site ............hope you find lots !!!