Newbie from UK

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by kandave, Oct 5, 2009.

1. kandave

kandave New Member

Hi all,

Trust I'm not disabusing the forum. I am in the UK and have an American RV. It's a C Class based on the Chevy Express Van 3500 chassis. I came across the forum during a search for help with a problem I was having with the cruise control seemingly related to the installation of new rear LED lamps.

First of all, thanks to 'unplugged' and 'tbplus10' for your responses and pointing me in the right direction.

As you can see I am many miles and several time zones away from your other members. Located in the UK about an hour North of London. Love the US and often spend our vacation time touring different states. Looking to get around all the lower 48 and have covered 40 over the last 20 years.

I have just realised a long held ambition to own an American RV (2000 Four Winds Dutchmen Express). Engine is Chevy 7.4 litre. With petrol pices in the UK at around £1.06 per litre (that's about $6.50 per US gallon) it's not for the faint-hearted.

The economy over here no doubt similar to that in the US. We followed your 'crash' about 9 months later. I've spent the last 12 months worrying about the job, saving as much as possible and watching the spending. Enough. Life is for living and it's definitley not a rehearsal so I finally decided (once I'd convinced the wife) that it was time to take the plunge.

Engine sounds really smooth. 39000 on the clock and it feels like it was built to last. Hope I can rely on the forum for advice as and when required.

Look forward to hearing from y'all

2. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site! I was born and raised in and around Leeds and moved to the U.S. in 1980 and have been living here ever since, and loving it!:great:

3. ct9a

ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site!

4. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the site! Congrat's on the RV! I have a 2007 39' Winnebago Adventurer w/8.1L Chevy and Allison 6 speed so fuel prices are important to me too (I paid $2.23/gal this morning). If you make it to Texas, let me know.

5. Eddie Z71

Eddie Z71 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Hi, and welcome to the site!

6. kandave

kandave New Member

Thanks for your comments. Great choice making the US your home. Was that you being adventurous or your parents?

Our son moved to Texas 5 years ago and the big difference he found ws property prices. He sold a 2 bed row house for the equivalent of about $160,000, paid off a mortgage which left him with $100,000 and he bought a 4 bed detached property and doesn't have a mortgage.

7. kandave

kandave New Member

Hi, thanks for your comments. 39 feet! The one we have is 10 feet shorter. We were looking for something around 27' but we definitley wanted the island bed that RV give you. We fell in love with this one and actually it isn't oo bad on our roads, although the village we live in is surrounded by small country roads so it's a bit hairy until you get out to the main roads. Love the toad!

Is there a good RV forum link you know of. It would be good to exchange thoughts and experiences and we will eventually get around to hiring one over there to visit some of the less populated states.

PS We'll be in Texas next March for our son's 40th. He lives in Dallas so you're a safe distance away!

8. Silveradolady

Silveradolady Rockstar 100 Posts

Welcome to the site!

9. jerseymike68

jerseymike68 Rockstar

kandave: hi, welcome to gmtruck club forum...enjoy your stay here...

10. canislupis69

canislupis69 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the site!