1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Newbie in need of 4wd trouble shooting

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by wetherwellis, Feb 12, 2011.

1. wetherwellis

wetherwellis New Member

Hello all. As from the title, I'm a newbie to this forum. I found it doing a search for a 4wd problem trying to do some troubleshooting.
    I have an 01 GMC Sierra 1500 with the 4wd lever on the floor. Its only got 110,000 miles on it.
    The other day my husband ( Yes, I am a dreaded woman :rofl: ) said I'd tore out his 4wd in his truck.
    I used it in 4wd for about half a mile on pure ice, then switched back to 2wd. I only drove 8 miles in truck that day.
    He got in next day and said I'd tore it out ..... asked if I'd heard it clunk which I had heater fan on highest setting and the radio up pretty loud so no, I didnt hear any clunking.
    Would any of you think actuator or encoder motor ?
    Our mechanic cant take a look at it for a couple more days but was trying to do some trouble shooting.
    We bought the truck from a very good friend of ours in November and he never had a problem with the 4wd fwiw.
    Thanks for any direction you could guide me into, to do some research.
  2. stephan

stephan Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Hey WW, welcome to the GM truck club. I can't help you with 4wd problems but someone will be along soon who can. There are a lot of 4wd pros on here so stay tuned.

** we don't dread women here. We kind of like you :)
    BTW, your husband probably blew up the 4WD & is just trying to blame it on you lol
  3. racekid91

racekid91 Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

So it will not go into 4 wheel drive? Did you check to make sure all the linkage from the floor shifter to the transfer case is still connected?
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  4. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the G M T C !
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2011