GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

newbie. manual shift suburban

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by warwagon89, Dec 17, 2008.

1. warwagon89

warwagon89 New Member

newbie. manual shift suburban pics added

hey all, new guy here. i have a question, are there very many manual shift transmission suburbans out there? thanks. and hello to all.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  2. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab New Member

welcome to the site!
    Glad to have ya!

:great:
  3. MrShorty

MrShorty Moderator

There aren't very many. Some years I don't think GM even offered Suburbans with a manual transmission (except maybe as a very special order kind of thing).
  4. warwagon89

warwagon89 New Member

mines a 89 4 on the floor, i'd never heard or seen one til i found mine.
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  5. bry2500

bry2500 New Member

Welcome to the site. I've never seen one myself, but I would love to have a manual in my Avalanche.

Hope you enjoy the rare Burb'.
  6. SoonerSilverado11

SoonerSilverado11 New Member

Ive never heard of it. I'm glad mine is! haha
  7. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 New Member

wow I didn't think they existed!
  8. warwagon89

warwagon89 New Member

i'll try and put some pics up tomorrow..
  9. ct9a

ct9a New Member

Welcome to the site! I didn't know such burbs existed in the later years. I knew there were some from the 70's and 80's.
  10. DrewsZ71

DrewsZ71 New Member

Hey welcome to the site. I havent actually heard of any till now. I'd love to own one though

[​IMG]
  11. tbplus10

tbplus10 Moderator

You've got yourself a rare truck. I was told there were around 5,000 manual transmission Suburbans built between 1980 and 2002. I dont know if anyone has a break down for production #'s of each year.

Most were built for the U.S. Goverment, Military, Forest Service, and Law Enforcement.
    Some were also built for large companies that special ordered fleet vehicles, the minimum order was 25.
    Very few found their way to the dealership when they were new. Once in a while you can find them on used car lots.
    There were some built on the Military HMMW platform (same as the mid 80"s military Chevy pickups) with Diesels, 1 ton suspension, Solid front axle, 24 volt electronics, rubber floor mats, hand crank windows, plastic seat covers, PTO output, and sometimes PTO winches. These trucks are very rare and were originaly purchased by the Military to be deployed overseas, I've seen a few stateside but they were still in use with the Military, I've never seen one civilianized.
    Was yours a service company or Govt. model? Or did it slip through the cracks and find its way to a dealership?
    Considering the enviroment the these trucks were built to operate in I doubt theres more than a handful left.
  12. warwagon89

warwagon89 New Member

ok, my bad its a 89. the story i heard was a doctor special ordered it, its red, gray int. 350 motor. has the 3rd seat, im not sure how they geared it but, you can run 4th all the way down to 35mph and up to well 90mph so far. it has bulldog which i've used once. i just puchased the suburban yesterday. its got 133,000 miles on it. previous owner took it to kansas from ky, several times hunting. the body is rusty as he77. but drivetrain is as good as it gets. its got pwr locks, cruise, delay wipers, no pwr windows, i dont know alot about suburbans, but i've never seen a stck shift b4. 4-low/1st gear bulldog, it will go anywhere you've got the beans to take it. i think its also a posi track rearend. i love it, just hope i can get the body back looking half way good. thanks for the replies...
  13. tlperry68

tlperry68 New Member

Welcome to the site.
  14. warwagon89

warwagon89 New Member

15. ct9a

ct9a New Member

Ah, typo, it's an '89. Great looking truck, very clean. I want one from that generation.