Newbie Question

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by 350zmarty, Jan 16, 2011.

1. 350zmarty

350zmarty New Member

Hi Folks, I recently had my jeep totaled, and with my insurance money, I will be getting a 90-99 Silverado Extra-cab with 4wd. I was hoping you all could tell me the best year for this style. The reason I want the 90-99, is I have always liked that style.

2. fishhook86

fishhook86 New Member

I would go for anything with a vortec 350...

3. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

X2 on the 350 engine, & if you have a lot of them to choose from, I would pick which ever truck has the lowest miles, even if it is a year or two older. Remember, when you're buying a used vehicle, you're looking at how many more miles you can put on it without having to spend any money. You don't want high mileage problems right away.

4. 350zmarty

350zmarty New Member

What year did they start with the Vortech 350 ???

5. sgtsjj

sgtsjj Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

in 97 i believe

6. Taddpole

Taddpole Member

My 1996, K1500, Z71, Had a 350 Vortec in it. It was a great truck, I wish I still had it.

7. sgtsjj

sgtsjj Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

was it 96?? i couldnt remember exactly

8. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Yeah Sarge, I think it was '96 cuz that's the same year they went to OBD 2..

9. cwbontheyfz

cwbontheyfz Rockstar

96 97

If you’re going to look at a truck with the vortec engine you want to look at the 98 99 models the 96 97 ones had a very basic fuel injection system it’s often referred to as the spider. The reason I say this is because the 96 97 spider system consists of a bunch of little hoses inside the intake manifold that deliver the fuel to the cylinder and they tend to get leaks and cause a whole list of different drivability problems. they are still great trucks but if you’re looking to modify the truck at all the 98 99 truck have allot more advanced system that can be tuned and they have individual fuel injectors which can be changed if you have problems with them.

1 person likes this.
  10. 350zmarty

350zmarty New Member

Thanks Guy's, I appreciate the great info.