1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Newbie questions, Belltech drop shackles

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by cbhs1, May 6, 2011.

Random Gallery Photos

1. cbhs1

cbhs1 New Member

Ok where to begin, i have the factory tow hitch on my truck, will this have to be removed? Second question, Will this level out my truck? Third question, Will i notice a difference in ride quality?

The truck is a 2003 Silverado Extended Cab

The shackles in question are the Belltech 6400.

If this will not make my truck level, what is something else i can do in the rear to make it lower, besides 300 pounds of sand.

Thanks for your time
    Last edited: May 6, 2011
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

What year and type of truck????
  3. cbhs1

cbhs1 New Member

2003 Silverado Ext Cab, Forgot the most vital piece of information, post edited
  4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Those shackles should get you level. Ofcourse ever truck is a little differant and depends how much the rear springs have settled since the truck is about 7-8 years old. But as I said they should get you level. I'm glad you chose Belltech and not some of the cheap crap thats out there.
  5. cbhs1

cbhs1 New Member

Thanks for your answer man. Yeah it was between belltech or djm, I went ahead and chose the belltech. Do you know if I will have to take my factory tow hitch off? I've heard mixed answers on that.
  6. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I just put the DJM shackles on my Z71 a month a so ago, and yes you will have to remove the hitch. Hopefully your shackle bolts are not seized up like mine were, I ended up having to cut the driver's side bolt in order to get them on. If the bolts aren't seized it's a pretty easy job. Ride quality does not suffer and handling is improved. Here's a link to the thread of my install.

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?62246-Drop-Shackle-Install.
  7. Cheez

Cheez Member 100 Posts

I did mine a couple weeks ago with the DJM shackles. I have an 04' extended cab (not much different) and I didn't have to completely remove the receiver. I unbolted the back 2 bolts and with a bit of fiddling with the jacks I was able to make just enough room to get the bolts in and out. After 7 years of usage I think mine leveled out pretty nice.
    [​IMG]
  8. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Looks good, Cheez, is yours a 2WD? I say drop it another 2" at least!!