1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Newbie to forum...Need 96 Tahoe help

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by chipmunk222, Apr 27, 2009.

1. chipmunk222

chipmunk222 New Member

My new to me 96 Tahoe 5.7 vortec is having serious running issues. Runs rough, backfires (popping sound) coming from the exhaust, the exhaust smells heavily of fuel and is white and thick. Oil smells like fuel.

Sometimes it will idle normally and sound fine, no weird noises, but if you give it any fuel it will start popping and running rough again. And don't even think about turning on the a/c, the vehicle immediatly cuts off as soon as the compressor tries to kick in. The exhaust and cat is new. Fuel pressure regulator is new.

Cleaned the maf and the egr. New plugs and wires. I realize there are several things that could be wrong or a combination of things but I am hoping someone can give me some good ideas or a starting point as I don't want to chase this problem. This vehicle sat for 6 months before the problems started so we added a can of seafoam and some fresh gas thinking it may have some bad gas but no change.

Help if possible please, thanks.
  2. nickgiacalone

nickgiacalone Rockstar 100 Posts

welcome to the site! im sure someone will have some insight on your problem
  3. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Well the white smoke can be the result of the seafoam, but it can also mean the headgaskets are shot. White smoke in my experiance has always been headgaskets, those 5.7 vortecs are notorious for the intake gaskets going bad too.
  4. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Probably the first set of things I would do:

1) Hook up a scanner and pull codes and check sensor outputs to see if ther is anything out of whack.

2) Check fuel pressure to make sure fuel is getting adequate fuel

3) Check for spark leak from the wires. When you changed the plugs, was there anything in their condition that might indicate a problem (deposits or anything like that)?
  5. chipmunk222

chipmunk222 New Member

Tahoe problems

Scanner pulls no current codes, nothing previous either. I was thinking with the strong gas smell that it must be getting enough fuel but have not checked the pressure yet. And the spark plugs were done by the previous owner in the hopes that it would run better. I went back behind him and checked to make sure he had correctly put the wires back on and straightened out a rats nest of plug wires at the same time. I was hoping that was going to help and it seemed like it did a little bit because now it will start and idle on its own, which it wouldn't do before. I got this vehicle at a really good price just because they tried a bunch of things and couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. They took it to a shop who supposedly had it fixed, they did something with the fuel pressure regulator and supposedly set the timing. The previous owner said it ran pretty good until he cut it off at the gas station, he stated that when he started it back up that it was running crappy and burned up quite a bit of fuel getting it home which was only a couple miles. I thought maybe he might have gotten some bad gas (hoping anyway) and that some seafoam would help out, but that was not the case either.
  6. chipmunk222

chipmunk222 New Member

I think I solved the fuel smoke dilemma. changed the injector spider (which was totally trashed, very black and gunked up, collapsed lines and holes everywhere), intake gasket (which was blown out of the channel in the intake on one side), thermostat, oil and filter and she is running pretty good. Had me worried for a bit because she was still smoking when we first started her back up, but in a little while that cleared and now there is no smoke and hopefully will stay that way.
  7. GaryL

GaryL Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Great Job!! and thanks for the update.:great:
  8. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Rock on! thanks for the update! :great:
  9. chipmunk222

chipmunk222 New Member

Short lived transformation.....

Ok, well the tahoe ran great after changing the fuel spider, drove it around quite a bit Friday night and Saturday, but now it started acting up again.

We stopped for gas last night with it running fine, upon starting it back up it ran really rough and didn't seem to want to idle which is the same complaint that the previous owner had said something about after getting gas, but after getting out of the parking lot it cleared up and ran fine all the way home.

Started it up this morning and it ran fine again while sitting idling in the driveway but as soon as we started down the road it had a noticable miss, so we turned around and headed back to the house, cut it off in the driveway and let it sit for a couple minutes and started it back up, ...upon starting, it was running worse than before and started backfiring again, this time backfiring louder than it was before changing the fuel spider.

Since it was raining and I hadn't changed the rotor or cap yet, I decided I would try that and it did provide a bit of relief, now it's not backfiring and seems to idle fine but it is missing as soon as you pull out to head down the road.

( It's starting to remind me of a barn sour horse that acts fine as long as it's at the barn or heading back to the barn, but gives you a fit otherwise.)

I went out and got a fuel pressure tester to see if that will give some insight, anybody have any ideas?
  10. chipmunk222

chipmunk222 New Member

Help still needed if possible...

The tahoe still has a miss and it's irritating that I can't figure it out. This is what has been done so far...

Fuel spider, fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump ( that is running only 52 pound of pressure, just like the one that was taken out)

Upper intake gasket

Another set of new platinum plugs and new wires

Cap, rotor

Different MAF sensor, not new but looked a whole lot better, just wanted to see if it made a difference.

Thought I may be mistaking a miss for a transmission shift problem so it
    now has a new filter and fluid in the trans. The old fluid and filter looked
    good and clean.

Nothing has made a bit of difference, the vehicle is still doing the exact same thing, missing intermittantly and will sometimes run terribly rough when started but if you cut it off and restart the motor it will run fine.

There is no check engine light, and has no stored codes. Is there something else I should check???

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this problem is driving me crazy.