newbie to forum need help

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by s64dr, Jul 28, 2007.

1. s64dr

s64dr New Member

howdy to all just found this site looks great. I have a 1998 tahoe problem is that sometimes when I am driving it the steering wheel jerks to the right ,usaully on a right turn but did it once in a straight road. is this the start of a steering going out, if so what can I check out or replace . I am a mechanic on a helicopter so hopefully I can fix it myself if pointed in the right direction. Thanks a lot Bob W.

2. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome! Sounds like you need to inspect front brakes to me. Rotors might be warped or pad is catching an edge. Deeply grooved rotors can cause weird pulling or high edge at outter perimeter of rotor.

BTW What causes a helicopter to pull to the right in the air...? :rofl:

3. s64dr

s64dr New Member

I hope that would be all it is, I'll check when I get back home. I was thinking more like maybe the power steering pump,do these had the rack an pinion steering? thinking maybe that also . wheel bearing though not making noise. ball joint but it is not thumping like I am accustomed to. Hope someone else has had this problem. expidite my fixing of this .thanks again

4. collinsperformance

collinsperformance Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

i check the rotor and brakes and front brake hose as they like t crimp in the center and hold pressure. the outside might look good but the inner liner is what goes bad. you need to flush out the old brake fluid every 4 years the water really messes with the lines and calipers. and check the wheel bearings for play. this is stuff you should do with any new to you vehicle. i been doing this with the new to me motorhome i just got. this pig is a wireing mess,,,mike