1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Newbie with 1995 Suburban 1500 code 42

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by doitmyself, Dec 11, 2010.

1. doitmyself

doitmyself New Member

I have a 1995 Suburban 1500 357 engine with a code 42.
    It has a pronounced miss.I have replaced the distributor.(It had alot of play).
    I had the module in the new distributor checked to see if it was defective.It checked out OK.I did all the continuity and voltage checks related to the code.All OK.
    I have kept my own vehicles running for over 40 years now but this one baffles me.
    Appreciate any help.Thanks,Roger
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the club, Roger. Sorry can't help with your problem, but I'm sure someone on the site can.
  3. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

***thread moved here****

have you checked the fuel pressure??? you should have at least 13PSI also I had a similar problem and replaced the entire distributor thanks to the pick up coil passing but when it got hot it no longer ran right, i found that the pick up coil was actually burn inside. Im guessing you have done a tune up as well as put in new plugs and cap/rotor etc??? I would take a look at the TBI as well and check the fuel spray, and take a look to see how much carbon you have built up inside and if there is a lot clean it up...
  4. doitmyself

doitmyself New Member

1995 Suburban 1500 5.7L fuel injected.Hard starting,rough running.Checked all the usual:
    Fuel injection,plugs,wires,coil,etc.As noted,I replaced the distributor because of play.Temporarily fixed the problem.Then it began running rough,hard starting,and displaying code 42(ESC short or open)so I had the module in the distributor checked thinking that could be the problem.It was OK.
    I can't even find an Electronic Spark Control in the manual or on the vehicle although it exists on some models.
    I have to assume I don't have an ESC.I looked everywhere on the engine for something resembling
    it.All I found was a related component(the knock sensor)that would affect the timing.Haven't checked it yet.(The vehicle is at a different location that I only get to every couple of weeks or so.)
    Has anyone located an ESC on their 1995 (or related) Suburban 1500 5.7L engine?If so,please let me know where.
    With a code 42 it has to have something to do with the distributor system and related components causing a 'limp-in' mode.Any help appreciated.And I hope to be able to reciprocate.