Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Newbie with a new truck - Need opinions!

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by JustPlaneFun, Dec 1, 2011.

1. JustPlaneFun

JustPlaneFun New Member

Hey folks,

I just bought a brand new Z71 Silverado LT, and I need some opinions on options.

I know I need to post some pics, but its white with color matched mirrors, door handles, and grill/bumper. I already painted the front bowtie white with a black border, and ordered a vinyl wrap for both the front and the back (I only painted the front so I could see if Id prefer white or chrome). I am about to install a leveling kit and tint the front windows to match the back.

So now I pose an open question: What would you guys recommend I do to this thing??

I was thinking maybe a set of those thin black nerf bars, black toolbox, and painting the chrome part of the back bumper white. Im just afraid Id make it look weird if its only black and white, but I really have no sense of style when it comes to these types of things!

Thanks in advance,
    Jeff

2. RedChevyKid_92

RedChevyKid_92 New Member

I think you should definitely go with the black and white... you could black out the tail lights and head lights (if the state you live in allows that sorta thing). If you cant black out the lights, get some halos with the black housing. Just throwing you some ideas out there.

3. Tpeachey

Tpeachey New Member

Jeff,

Good luck with the truck, I just picked up a 2011 CC LT Z71 as well and I had a bedliner and tonneau cover installed. I have the rear wheel well covers and solid mudflats on order. I also ordered the weather tech mats, over the hump for the front and rear. Good seat covers would help too. I'm debating about side step bars and a leveling kit right now...but it looks like your on the right track.

4. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I am not the biggest of fans of only black and white. There are a few of that color combo that do look nice. It would be easier if we had pics of course. I like chrome my self. I have also become a big fan of black chrome. The black chrome my be a possibility if you get step bars. As far as a box goes, do you haul anything in the bed of your truck? Will you be using the box to carry tools? or is it just to secure things somewhere other than your cab? I have a trifold hard tonneau cover on my truck. I went with that one instead of a soft cover because it is hard so it is harder to break into. And also I can remove it if/when I need to haul something like my motorcycle or mulch. Congrats on the new truck and welcome to the club.

5. jake's silverado

jake's silverado Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

one suggestion on the nerf bars get the black ones that extend past the cab so you can use them to get into your tool box. if you end up with a spray in bed liner consider spraying the nerf bars. my preference would be to spray the wheel wells with the box liner as well over getting the plastic liners.

6. JustPlaneFun

JustPlaneFun New Member

Hey everyone, thanks for the responses!

Redchevykid, my last truck was a super dark grey, almost black Avalanche. I smoked out the sides of the taillights fading to no tint on the back, and it looked awesome! I'm not sure if that would look good on this truck or not though. Maybe once I get the windows tinted and everything I can get a better idea.

Tpeachy, It sounds like we both have a good taste in trucks! What type of seat covers do you recommend? I am definitely in the market for some, but Im a little skeptical about ordering some covers I haven't seen (especially for $150+), and those cheap Autozone things arent going anywhere near my truck! Im also curious about the mudflaps you got as well.

Aloxdaddy99, I feel you 110% on the black/white. Thats the main reason I started this thread. Ive seen some trucks that look amazing with the two tone, but Ive seen some that look...well...awful. Ive come to realize there's a very fine line between awesome and awful as well. I do like the chrome look, but since my truck came with very little chrome already, Im not sure where to start adding it. I do know that I hate the gold bowtie look on it and that's why I already painted the front (Got some vinyl coming for both the front and back. Regarding the toolbox, I just want something to keep a toolkit, jumper cables, and crap like that in there. I dont plan on hauling too much stuff, but when I do, I wouldn't have a place to store a tonneau cover if I had to remove it. That new black chrome looks awesome as well, but I just dont know how to incorporate it into my truck.

Jake, Is there a reason you prefer the spray on liner in the wheel wells vs the plastic ones? A spray in liner was my first intention, but after crawling around down there I realized there is a lot of stuff that would remain exposed (brake lines, etc) as where the plastic cover goes down far enough to hide all that. I think I like the spray in look better than the plastic look, but I like functionality of covering everything up. Thoughts?

I took some pictures of my truck but theyre all too big to post on here, so when I shrink them down I will add them. In the meantime, here are a few pics I took the day I picked it up and one with my newly painted white bowtie.

Again, I really appreciate everyone's input on this truck and I welcome lots more!
    photo(5).jpg photo(6).jpg photo(7).jpg

7. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

If you are getting a toolbox for a tool kit and jumper cables, why not consider a A.R.E. fiberglass bed lid instead? They have body lines to match the hood and have a keyless entry option that would lock and unlock with your door locks. It keeps what ever you have in the bed hidden, dry, and secure. Not the easiest thing to remove because they are heavy. But, it stops the constant requests of people asking you to haul something for them. you could always get a tonneau that rolls up so you don't have to remove it to haul stuff. I have seen some white trucks with them and they look pretty sweet.

8. jake's silverado

jake's silverado Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

I get my truck undercoated to protect the other stuff like brake lines... my thoughts on the plastic is be tween the plastic and the body is a good place for dust and salt to get trapped and with the vibration of the truck then the rust process starts. i don't like the plastic bed liners for that reason as well... but remember I don't drive your truck you do. Get what you want and enjoy.

perhaps spraying some undercoating under the liners would help keep the liner from rubbing???

9. JustPlaneFun

JustPlaneFun New Member

Pikey, I just checked out the ARE covers and they look pretty good. Ill check into that a little bit more! Thanks!

Jake, you brought a good point. I live in the South so salt wont be a factor, but I see where you're coming from and I think you convinced me to go with the spray in liner!

Just had the front windows tinted today. I got as dark as I legally could (40%) but I already think I am going to go back for darker tint and take my chances with the police.

Leveling kit will be installed next week!

10. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

[MENTION=12286]Jake[/MENTION] that is the same reason I went with the trifold toneau ccover. It folds over to have three sections stacked on top of each other. Is weather tight like the ARE. But if need be can be easily removed.

@Just you are on your way. Your truck looks nice. If you wanted to get some chrome or black chrome the easiest way to start it with the rims. Not that I dislike the ones you have. It looks like you have the chrome caps on your mirror's. Duplicolor makes a blackchrome spray coating that goes over chrome to give it the look of black chrome. So that would be the second part.