1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Newbie (with clutch pedal problems) intro

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by valveguy, Aug 27, 2013.

1. valveguy

valveguy New Member

I am valveguy and I joined the forum today, 8/27/13. I discovered the forum after posting a search on Google looking for info regarding plastic GM clutch pedal aassemblies. I own a 2000 Silverado 1500 with a 4.3 V6, manual 5 speed tranny, s/w/b regular cab Plain Jane with 180,000 miles. I bought the truck in the summer of 2007 with 125,000 miles on the odometer and the clutch pedal assembly has failed 3 times. Without warning, it breaks around the mounting flange where the rod passes through the firewall and the pedal goes to the floor and the clutch master cylinder falls off the firewall inside the engine compartment and that is when I have to call a wrecker to come get me. I live in anticipation of the next failure and I spend a lot of time on the internet seeking solutions to my problem. I can't find any sign of a GM revision and I haven't found any aftermarkwet products specifically for my truck. I drive my truck very gingerly because I am 66 years old with millions of miles on me and it is 13 years old with almost 200,000 miles on it. I do not tow with it; it mostly takes me back and forth to work, 13 miles each way, with an occasional detour to a store. Anyway, I will continue to look for a solution. I think my next approach will be to purchase a new assembly from the dealer and have our machine shop and welding department, at work, build an aluminum replacement. Meanwhile, I am open to any suggestions you might have.

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to GMTC. I have moved your thread to a different sub forum to try to get you more answers. I do not know much about the clutch pedal assembly on that model. Hopefully someone comes along soon with some suggestions. The only thing I can think of is maybe the rod is adjusted out too far and it is bottoming out inside the cylinder, causing the stress that is breaking the unit at the flange. Do new units come with a new rod? I ask because maybe someone installed the wrong rod in it at some point and it is too long. I would have had the machine shop at work make something up after the second one broke.

3. valveguy

valveguy New Member

Thanks for your help and your input. This is a very worrysome problem for me. I found out on another forum that this is a not an uncommon problem on this series of Chevy trucks. If I am not able to resolve the problem I will probably have to sell the truck and find another good used truck. Thanks again for your assistance.

Valveguy

4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I hope that you can figure it out. Maybe [MENTION=39185]j cat[/MENTION] can help out on this one. He seems to know his way around these trucks very well.