Newby with 2004 Sub Z71 AWD

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by jimirwin, Dec 10, 2013.

1. jimirwin

jimirwin New Member

Howdy!

Newby here. Jim Irwin age 68, in suburban Austin, Texas. Cedar Park, exactly.

Just got a very nice 2004 Sub Z71 AWD. Had it inspected. It's missing at least one skid plate (under front differential). Where can I see a diagram/schematic showing what other skid plate(s) ought to be present?

Also....I'm interested in tuning it for best gas mileage and better performance.
    Yes, both! Wonder what's possible & where to get it?

Thanks!

Jim
  2. Curky

Curky New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the club.
  3. Camaro69car

Camaro69car New Member 100 Posts

Welcome to the Club from VA!

Skid plates can be found on the NBS (not NNBS) avalanches, and silverado's. I would contact your local scrap yards to see if you can find some.
  4. jimirwin

jimirwin New Member

NBS? What's this?

Thanks

Jim

5. Camaro69car

NBS is New body style, sorry, NNBS is new new body style (current one)
  6. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Jim....
    :sign0016:......To the Site, the below diagram is for a 04" Suburban, hopefully it shows you what part your looking for.....if your local salvage doesn't have a Skid Plate, try your Local Craigs List, and last take a look at E-Bay, as there are a couple of site's that sell the Skid Plates your asking about.....

[​IMG]

Jim....regarding...."best gas mileage and better performance".....a couple of Tune Company's to take a look at, would be Black Bear Tunes and Diablo Tunes, both of them are Sponsoring Vendor's here on the Site,

Black Bear,
    http://www.blackbearperformance.com/faqs.asp

Diablo Tunes,
    http://www.diablosport.com/product-search.html

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  7. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

welcome to gmtc. Not all of the suburbans came with all of the skid plates. it was an added option. Personally, I would go with the diablew tune. You then have a scan tool, can revert back to factory programming at any time for diagnostic purposes, and can monitor many things while you drive.
  8. jake's silverado

jake's silverado New Member 100 Posts

Welcome to the site...
  9. Camaro69car

Welcome to the Club from VA!
  10. jimirwin

jimirwin New Member

OK I found and bought used oil pan skid plate. Doesn't have the rear fasteners (bolts?). Do have the two vibration dampers(?), but no fasteners. Please advise what to look for. Drawings don't show what I need. Dealer says they're only available with the skid plate. Don't need to buy a new one to get two bolts & sure don't need two skid plates! Anyone got a drawing, picture, or other info about what's at the rear?

Thanks!