1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Newer model 5.3's with magnaflow?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by Kman1022, May 27, 2010.

1. Kman1022

Kman1022 New Member

I had an 04 and put a single magnaflow muffler to dual tips and it sounded amazing. Low tones and not too obnoxious. I'm thinking about going the same route with my 2010 5.3. My buddy, a GM mechanic, works at the dealership I bought the truck from. So I got the keys and went to say hello. I started telling him my plans for the truck. As I'm mentioning the magnaflow plans another mechanic walks over and asks if my truck has(forgive my stupidity, I'm not sure of the correct terms for this) the technology where the engine shuts down to 4 cyl on the highway to conserve fuel. I say yes and he says don't buy an exhaust cause it's gonna sound like total crap on the highway.
    Can anyone attest to this or have any opinion at all on this subject?

Thanks guys

2. BigBlueLB756

BigBlueLB756 Rockstar 100 Posts

Unless you buy Corsa or Borla or have the AFM/DOD disabled by a tune, you'll have to deal with that "tractor" sound when the engine shifts over to 4-cylinder operation in high gear.

3. Kman1022

Kman1022 New Member

I know it's a matter of opinion but is it loud when it's in the 4 cyl mode? Does it really sound like crap?

4. ajarman

ajarman Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

This man speaks the truth! I bought a Gibson cat back From BigBlue and my buddy with a 2010 bought it from me before I could get it on. He is so annoyed by the sound he is going to get a tune to do away with the displacement on demand. I think I am going to stick with my stock exhaust just for this reason.

5. Kman1022

Kman1022 New Member

Has anyone on here disabled the DOD by tuning? If so any idea what it would cost?
    I talked to my buddy at the exhaust place and he said the same thing about it sounding like crap. He said his boss has a tahoe with the DOD and he got someone to tune it and it sounds better but he got a freebie tune from a friend. He also said he gets BETTER mpg after disabling it.

6. 09Z71BLKBST

09Z71BLKBST Rockstar 100 Posts

you can disable the DOD with a diablosport predator. thats what i have and how i did it. it cost me around 280$.

7. adam0285

adam0285 Rockstar

I have an 07 with the 5.3 and I did a Magnaflow exhaust. It sounded decent while operating at full power but when DoD kicked in it sounded like a helicopter to me. I then compounded the problem by getting Dynatech long-tube headers. Sounds burly under heavy throttle and I love it, not so much when DoD kicks in. I don't intend to change my exhaust any time soon but I am contemplating getting a tune to do away with the DoD.

8. rotaryenginepete

rotaryenginepete Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

I have magnaflow on mine, it makes a lower droning noise when its decellerating in 4 banger mode...but other than that it sounds great. this is going to be an issue with just about any aftermarket exhaust because they aren't tuned for the 4 cyl exhaust note. its really not that annoying and doesnt sound really bad, just different. for me the sound of the engine at WOT sounds really mean..like a nascar almost but at idle its not loud at all.

9. Kman1022

Kman1022 New Member

Alright thanks guys, good info here. I'm going to do the magnaflows any day now. If it's that annoying to me I'll just get the tuner.

10. turtlesdove3

turtlesdove3 New Member

Good to hear that, do keep us updated. I just joined the forum expecting to get info on the difference between a drone and an AFM prob.