1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Newer wheels on a old truck???

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by silleffej, Dec 22, 2012.

1. silleffej

silleffej New Member

As in my profile, I have a 1990 C1500 2wd V8 5.7L and now only 60K miles on it!!! I have been looking at upgrading my wheels from the factory steel wheels to some factory aluminum alloys. This truck comes with 5 lug 5" rims. The 15" Al alloy wheels must be rare for this lug spacing cause the cheapest I can find them are $190 per rim. However, I can find alloy wheels from newer models all day long for around $100 or less.

How much trouble is it to change from the 5 lug pattern to the 6 lug pattern? how reliable are adapters? I hear stories of them breaking while driving. And all the hubs I find with the 6 bolt pattern say they are not compatible with this truck. Hmmm!

I know plenty of people here have put bigger rims on there K1500 but I do not find anyone putting bigger rims on their C1500s. I am only looking to go with 16" factory wheels. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks and Merry Christmas
  2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts

You may be able to find parts from a C1500 Tahoe or Burban that will fit. They will be exactly the same as your truck. The Burban and Tahoe have 6 lug hubs no matter what. The Burban with you body style came out in 1991. So look for parts for a 1991 C1500 Suburban (hubs, bearings and such).
  3. moogvo

moogvo Moderator 1000 Posts

No they don't. on the OBS trucks and SUVs, only the 4x4 vehicles have 6 lugs. The 2 wheel drive OBS models were all 5 lugs. Tahoes and Suburbans included. that didn't change until 1999 on the trucks and 2000 on the SUVs.
  4. Conlan Rose

Are you sure because when I was looking at trucks I looked at a 2wd Tahoe that has the same 6 lug wheels as my current 4x4.
  5. moogvo

Absolutely positive. If it was 6 lugs on a 2 wheel drive, it was modified to be that way, unless it was built after 1998.
  6. Conlan Rose

I think they exist but only with the SUVs I remember because I was happy when I saw the truck because it was the perfect price and was in great shape until I look underneath and saw there were some major parts missing. I will find proof once I get on a computer currently I'm on my phone.

Remember I'm not saying your wrong you sure as hell might be right but I remember seeing a 6 lug 2wd truck in person that was OBS.
  7. moogvo

I give up...
  8. Conlan Rose

Ok, it turns out we are both right... They exist as both 5 lug and 6 lug depending on the packages and equipment they have. The higher trimmed trucks have 6 lug while the WT has 5 lug from what I can tell.

- - - Updated - - -

In hind sight this argument has gotten us no where closer to helping the OP get new rims and find a way to mount them.
  9. moogvo

I researched the factory shop manuals. No 2 wheel drive OBS 1500 series vehicles had 6 lugs ever. 2500 series models had 8 lugs.

I was not arguing or attempting to start one. I stated what I knew to be correct to begin with. When I was told I was wrong, I posted what I posted to avoid saying something that would have been guaranteed to start an argument.

To the original poster, the wheels from any 2 wheel drive 88-98 1/2 ton truck, SUV or van will fit fine.
  10. Kady

Kady New Member

Moogvo is right... 2wd was 5 lug... 4wd 1500 had 6. 2500 and 3500 had 8... And, I'm pretty sure they had some 2500 that were 6 lug.. not sure if it was because they were 2wd, or considered light duty, or something like that..