1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Nice to meet you.

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by HunterDude, Jan 3, 2008.

1. HunterDude

HunterDude New Member

Hello Gents and Ladies,

It started as a boy in the early 60's and dad's '51 GMC carry-all. So many great hunting/camping trip memories. Well, carrying on that tradition with my son, I bought a '97 GMC 1500 4x4 to do the same with him.
    I have recently run across an '95 2500 4x4 with low miles for a great price and am thinking of buying it. Now, I have had a wild hair about a diesel Suburban for awhile and finding a stock one is few and far between here in California.
    My question is this.. How difficult would it be to convert and gas powered 'Burb into a diesel? I know it would require changing the engine and such, but would the fuel tank and delivery system have to be swapped out too?
    Please let me know if anyone has done this conversion, or if it would be to costly.

Thanks. Brian.
  2. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Wow! The conversion would be way more expensive than any savings on the price of the gas burb. You should google "diesel burb craigslist" There is a nice 95 diesel for $7500 in Carson City. So lets say you could get a decent gas burb for under $4000 like this 95 gasser on craigslist. There is no way you can do the conversion for the $3500 difference. You could pick up this used engine (including harness, and fuel tank for the conversion) for $2400. That leaves you with $1100 for misc. parts and labor. Do the math, not a very good bargain. Buy the diesel straight up and save yourself the headaches.

btw......:sign0016: hope you like what you find here.
  3. MD4x4 Fireman

MD4x4 Fireman New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

:sign0016: to the site. post a picture of your '97
  4. finalday7

finalday7 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome and I have to say switching to the diesel wouldn't be very cost effective. It can be done of course but the cost would be so high you'd really have to want it.
  5. RockHead

RockHead New Member 100 Posts

Welcome to the site
  6. HunterDude

HunterDude New Member

Howdy,

Thanks for the welcome! I didn't think it would be cheap to convert one to diesel, but the closest craigslist one i've found so far, is above Sacramento.
    I am in the east SF Bay area and there are none around here. I do have a line on a super clean, low miles '95 2500 4x4 for $3,500. I was just thinking about diesel due to the greater variety of alternate fuels that can be used.

Will the '95 run the ethanol corn gas okay?

I have photobucket and can usually drop an image into a post. How can I do that here?

Thanks, Brian.
  7. MD4x4 Fireman

MD4x4 Fireman New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

to add a picture to your post scroll down in the reply screen to the additional options box. then click the manage attachments box and its self explanitory from there. hope that helps
  8. HunterDude

HunterDude New Member

Thanks, i'll give it a shot.