1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Nissan: Is it a Leaf or a weenie in disguise?

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Caddiac, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Caddiac

Caddiac New Member 1000 Posts

I signed up to be on the reservation list last year for a Nissan Leaf. The $100 down fully refundable deposit, meant that I would get priority. I have been told that by summers end I would be able to order one.

Today I received an email from Nissan telling me I could order my 2012 Leaf (all electric) next week. Read between the lines and the fine print and it looks like if I live in the right state and hold my mouth right I might be able to lease one. Looks like the big announcement was that they sold out of the 2011, added a bunch of optional equipment as standard, and raised the price.

So anyway, l go to the website and logged in and it shows the steps in the purchase process which when I clicked on the next step, it just told me what that step would be - uh duh! An hour or so later, I cannot click on those steps and see anything.

So what do you guys think. Are the marketing folks morons that are in the process of really pissing me off, will I get told I can lease the car rather than buy other wise I can continue to wait to purchase? Crap I should have put this in the pole forum!

1) Am I going to be happy next week?
    2) Am I going to be pissed off next week?
    3) Are they trying to screw me over next week?
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Go get a Volt.... If you can't in your area come here to NJ/NY and get it.. I am seeing them all over now..
  3. NCN8ive

NCN8ive New Member

I vote for 4. They've been screwing with you since last year.:rofl:
  4. ajarman

ajarman New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would say pissed. And it's hard to compare the leaf to the volt cause the volt still has gas motor.
  5. Caddiac

Well I called Nissan and sent them a e-mail and as Bernadette Peters would say "Its twoo, Its twoo!" I should be able to place my order in the next couple of weeks. They have an interesting process - one that is much more sophisticated than GM did with the Volt. It is driven by the fact that the Leaf is totally electric rather than GM lacks imagination, though they did. I say that because I was a member on the website for the Volt, ask questions, posted etc. I even went to another site and signed up on the "waiting list" just to show GM the support they had for the Volt. But they did like they always do and it was first come, first serve, at the dealership which could stick it too you on the price if they wanted. And yet the Leaf that came out 2 months later, is going to be available in my area long before the Volt, my reservation gives me priority on delivery in this area and the only difference in the price on the web page and what the dealer will expect is tax, title, tags and destination charges.

The best part is based on the calculations I have seen it should cost me around $1.98 to 60 miles. I am skeptical to think that it could be that cheap to power but I guess I will know soon!
  6. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts

So is it going to be a lease or will the mo fos actually let you buy it?
  7. Caddiac

I can buy it. I have no interest in leasing since the miles that I drive would easily exceed what their lease is going to allow. I really wanted the Chevy but the Leaf is going to be a better Choice for me I THINK. There are two very different approaches to the future going on here and it will be interesting to watch it unfold.
  8. Caddiac

UPDATE: Well I did it! I ordered the Leaf today. Technically they call it a "Price Request" but that is what starts the clock ticking for delivery of the car. Tax credits should bring the price down under $30K. The cost of my commute should drop by about $200 per month. Excluding the oil changes and other maintenance which is not required on an electric car. Not to mention the Suburban's life will be extended. A used Burb equipped like mine can be had for the mid-30s. But then the higher maintenance costs and cost to operate.

Any way, that is the logic I used to justify my purchase. And if the range is too tight with my highway commute, I have plan B.
  9. Caddiac

Received delivery information on my car. Should be here in December. First dealer in Shelby NC jerked me around and cost me a week or so in getting it ordered. They finally told me they did not sell the car. What a bunch of moron's. So I have it coming from Nissan of Greer. The dealership closest to my home sold me a Seville STS and then caused a big ruckus with GM on a warranty claim. Needless to say I would not buy from them.
  10. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Congrats on the order. What color did you order?