nite shade tail lights

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Custom04Chevy, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Custom04Chevy

Custom04Chevy Rockstar 100 Posts

I know there have been several posts on this already, but I haven't been able to find an answer to my question, so hopefully someone who has already done it can help me out. I bought a can of the VHT Nite shade at orilleys yesterday and I was wondering what kind of clear coat to use. Does it need to be something automotive, or can I just go get a can of clear coat from home depot? I'll probably be spraying my tail lights sometime next week if the weather and my class schedule permit.

2. Chevinator

Chevinator New Member

I would make sure that any clear coat you use is UV resistant. If not it will fog up and look terrible before the end of summer. I would go with automotive version and should have some sort of UV rating on it.

3. norcalbear05

norcalbear05 Rockstar

i used a similar black out for my tail lights that was meant to be used for off road vehicles.
    made sure to do plenty and nicely laid coats to get the right tint darkness i was looking for, didnt even use clear coat and they looked great and have lasted 3 1/2 years now.

fair warning tho ive already racked up a ticket for them so if you have bored cops around may not be such a smoot move for your daily driver.