1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

NNBS Cabin Air Filter?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by stchman, May 2, 2013.

1. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

I know that GM does not put a cabin air filter in the 2007-2013 NNBS Silverado/Sierra, but is there something in the aftermarket? I do notice that my 2013 interior gets fairly dusty. My girlfriend's 2006 Cobalt is relatively dust free in the interior.

Thanks.
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Nope GM wants to keep things Cheap So something nice like a cabin Air filter is not on the list. I have seen on Utube a Kit to add one to the newer trucks. Wish my $46K !!!! :grrrrrr: Still had one you can Smell everything now even when I use the windshield washer, My old 02 had one and the air inside was CLEAN......

HEY GM WAKE UP STOP BEING SO CHEAP!!!!!!
  3. j cat

j cat Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I have installed on my past owned vehicles an air filter to the input of the HVAC . I have now on my 1996 impala an air filter[I INSTALLED] . this keeps the EVAP clean so the AC works properly with the coils clean. my 2000 Silverado I replace the filter every 2 years and every year blow out the filter elements of the pollen material in the late spring.

In the past the odor issue GM has a nasty clean procedure to try and remove the organic slop on the coils that grows mold that ends up in your lungs mixing with the EVAP condensation. not a healthy environment for sure.

using the vehicle in a dusty area off road / farm you would need this to protect your breathing....
  4. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

I understand why GM stopped putting them in as 99% of the people out there never changed them, and then complained that their airflow was down to zero. They then complained that it should be covered under warranty to replace the filters.

The blower has to suck air from somewhere, I was just wondering is there was an aftermarket solution for that that would like one.
  5. j cat

j cat Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

The reason these vehicles had filters is because R134 evap coils are very close. this causes a problem with the debris being caught in these coils. then you get the same effect asa dirty filter no flow. R12 evap coils the wire mesh was good enough to filter out the big debris and what would happen would be the evap drain would plug up then it would drip water on the passenger side.

I got this filter idea way back when I had pollen issues saw a BMW that had filter so I fabricated the filter to work with my 1983 .
  6. steved

steved Former Member

At one point there was a manufacturer that made an aftermarket filter that attached to the intake grill on the windshield cowling...acted like a prefilter. Its been a long time since I even saw them (wasn't in the market). Might want to do some searching, see if they still exist?