NNBS Tailgate handle Paint How-to! Enjoy!

Discussion in 'How-to Guides' started by WaldoAZ, Nov 26, 2008.

1. WaldoAZ

WaldoAZ New Member

Well,

I finally got some time off work and I decided to give painting a try for the first time. Let me tell you that it is not as hard as you may think. This is for painting small exterior stuff though. I decided to go with the spray can paint. I purchased my paint from automotivetouchup.com. They do a great job of matching your color code and also use a patented spray tip that sprays similar to a spray gun. Anywyas here it is:

STUFF YOU NEED:

80,180, and 320 grit sandpaper (USED TO GET RID OF THE TEXTURE.)
    adhesion promoter (Used for plastics on cars to make the paint stay.)
    primer
    paint
    clear
    NOTE* YOU MAY WANT WATERSAND FOR MIRRO FINISH WITH 1500 GRIT AND RUBBING COUMPOUND.
    [​IMG]

FIRST:
    Sand your tailgate handle in the following order:
    80, then 180, and then 320 grit
    Make sure you sand it down to a smooth finish and do not leave any deep scratches.
    Make sure you wash the parts with dish soap and dry them after your done sanding.
    Here are some pics:
    80 GRIT

180 GRIT

320 GRIT
    [​IMG]

SECOND:
    Spray 1 to 2 coats of the adhesion promoter. Wait 5 minutes between the coats.
    After, spray 3-5 coats of primer. Wait 5-10 minutes between each coat. Let the pieces sit for about 45 minues before going on tot he next step.
    *NOTE: IF YOU GGET RUNS OR BLOCTHES, YOU CAN WATERSAND THEM DOWN WITH THE 320 GRIT SANDPAPER.
    [​IMG]

THIRD
    It is now time to spray the color. Spray 3-5 coats of paint. Wait 5-10 minutes between each coat.
    After, let the parts dry for about 30 minutes and then apply as many coats of clear as youd like. Wait 5-10 minutes between each coat of clear.

FOURTH
    YOU MAY WANT TO WETSAND THE CLEAR WITH 1500 GRIT AND THEN APPLY RUBBING COUMPOUND TO GET A LIKE MIRROR FINISH. UP TO YOU!
    Grab a beer and enjoy a job well done!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
    2 people like this.
  2. gmcem50

gmcem50 Member

Nice job, Waldo! looks professional. I want to do this to my tailgate handle. There are guys selling painted tailgate handle assemblies on eBay but no one I've seen has them with the a locking feature, so I will have to go this route too. When I finish I'll post pics as well.:great:

P.S. Did you order your primer & adhesion promoter from automotivetouchup.com also, or just the paint?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  3. raisor87

raisor87 Rockstar 100 Posts

great job turned out really well. Never considered color matching my tailgate handle. Project for next weekend maybe:great:

4. gmcem50

gmcem50 Member

Finally got around to doing this.

Attached Files:

5. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Looks like a great job.

6. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

looks good

7. u1arunit

u1arunit New Member

Looks good, thanks for taking the time to do this write-up!

8. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Moved to Write-ups.

9. bob13

bob13 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Great write-up!:great:

10. kylegillean

kylegillean Former Member

thanks a lot for this. My goal is to have no black plastic on my truck, I didnt want full chrome door and tailgate assemblies. So I got the chrome handles and I;m going to be color matching the pieces around the actual handles. I havent seen anyone do this yet. You're write up is definitely going to help me.