1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

NNBS Tailgate handle Paint How-to! Enjoy!

Discussion in 'How-to Guides' started by WaldoAZ, Nov 26, 2008.

1. WaldoAZ

WaldoAZ New Member

Well,

I finally got some time off work and I decided to give painting a try for the first time. Let me tell you that it is not as hard as you may think. This is for painting small exterior stuff though. I decided to go with the spray can paint. I purchased my paint from automotivetouchup.com. They do a great job of matching your color code and also use a patented spray tip that sprays similar to a spray gun. Anywyas here it is:

STUFF YOU NEED:

80,180, and 320 grit sandpaper (USED TO GET RID OF THE TEXTURE.)
    adhesion promoter (Used for plastics on cars to make the paint stay.)
    primer
    paint
    clear
    NOTE* YOU MAY WANT WATERSAND FOR MIRRO FINISH WITH 1500 GRIT AND RUBBING COUMPOUND.
    [​IMG]

FIRST:
    Sand your tailgate handle in the following order:
    80, then 180, and then 320 grit
    Make sure you sand it down to a smooth finish and do not leave any deep scratches.
    Make sure you wash the parts with dish soap and dry them after your done sanding.
    Here are some pics:
    80 GRIT

180 GRIT

320 GRIT
    [​IMG]

SECOND:
    Spray 1 to 2 coats of the adhesion promoter. Wait 5 minutes between the coats.
    After, spray 3-5 coats of primer. Wait 5-10 minutes between each coat. Let the pieces sit for about 45 minues before going on tot he next step.
    *NOTE: IF YOU GGET RUNS OR BLOCTHES, YOU CAN WATERSAND THEM DOWN WITH THE 320 GRIT SANDPAPER.
    [​IMG]

THIRD
    It is now time to spray the color. Spray 3-5 coats of paint. Wait 5-10 minutes between each coat.
    After, let the parts dry for about 30 minutes and then apply as many coats of clear as youd like. Wait 5-10 minutes between each coat of clear.

FOURTH
    YOU MAY WANT TO WETSAND THE CLEAR WITH 1500 GRIT AND THEN APPLY RUBBING COUMPOUND TO GET A LIKE MIRROR FINISH. UP TO YOU!
    Grab a beer and enjoy a job well done!
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
    2 people like this.
  2. gmcem50

gmcem50 Member

Nice job, Waldo! looks professional. I want to do this to my tailgate handle. There are guys selling painted tailgate handle assemblies on eBay but no one I've seen has them with the a locking feature, so I will have to go this route too. When I finish I'll post pics as well.:great:

P.S. Did you order your primer & adhesion promoter from automotivetouchup.com also, or just the paint?
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  3. raisor87

raisor87 Rockstar 100 Posts

great job turned out really well. Never considered color matching my tailgate handle. Project for next weekend maybe:great:
  4. gmcem50

gmcem50 Member

Finally got around to doing this.

Attached Files:

5. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Looks like a great job.
  6. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

looks good
  7. u1arunit

u1arunit New Member

Looks good, thanks for taking the time to do this write-up!
  8. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Moved to Write-ups.
  9. bob13

bob13 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Great write-up!:great:
  10. kylegillean

kylegillean Former Member

thanks a lot for this. My goal is to have no black plastic on my truck, I didnt want full chrome door and tailgate assemblies. So I got the chrome handles and I;m going to be color matching the pieces around the actual handles. I havent seen anyone do this yet. You're write up is definitely going to help me.