1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

No A/C and button will not light up??

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by ecuoly, Jul 27, 2010.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. ecuoly

ecuoly New Member

Hello! Well got the other engine put in my 97 Suburban and all is well except for the AC:grrrrrr:
    The previous owners stated when the burb was running they were not able to turn off the blower. It was stuck on high and wouldn't turn off. Well a little researching and I changed out the blower switch and the resistor. All is well with that, but also have another problem. When i push the A/C button to turn on the A/C I get nothing. The little orange light on the button will not light up and the compressor won't kick on. I did a few test and pulled the plug to the compressor and am not getting any power to the compressor when the button is pushed. Also pulled the relay and jumpered with a wire. I was able to get the clutch to kick in so I went out and purchased a new relay. Still nothing.
    The previous owners said the A/C worked and the blower was stuck on high. I'm thinking the button is bad because it wont light up or engage the compressor. What do you all think? Is there a way I can bypass the or test the switch?
    I also recharged the system thinking it was low on freon but had no luck.

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I would try jumping the low pressure switch by the accumulator first.. Power has to go thru that before going to the compressor.

3. SAATR

SAATR New Member

Roger roger. That little clutch cycling switch is a common mode of failure on these AC systems, not to mention a common place for the system to leak. Jumper the connector and verify that the system cools, check high and low side pressures while you're at it. If all is good, replace the switch, they're only 12 - 15 bucks.

4. ecuoly

ecuoly New Member

Well, I checked the Low and High pressure side by jumpering them and still no compressor kicking in. I also checked the voltage with the A/C button on and off. What's funny is that I get 13 volts at the plug no matter what. And that's on both the high and low side. Does that sound right? What else is there to check? Should I be getting power to those connections even though the A/C button is not on?

5. murdog94

Dumb question but did you jumper them at the same time together or, jumper one then move to the other one?? And yes there should be power.. One thing you might try is running the Defrost. That should engage the AC clutch as well. If it is engaging with the Defrost on then you know you have a bad switch. Since the defrost sends signal to the compressor thru the same wires.

6. ecuoly

ecuoly New Member

Sorry, I know it sounded like I did it at the same time. I jumpered the low side then plugged it back in then jumpered the high side. I went out this morning and purchased another climate control console from the junk yard. With this one in, the A/C button lights up when pressed, but still no compressor coming on.:grrrrrr: If I remember right, I switched it too defrost and did not notice the compressor kicking on. One thing I did notice, that I didn't with the old console, when I push the A/C button you can hear the air changing.....like it gets diverted or something.
    We're taking a trip to the lake this weekend and I got my wife on me to get this working:fighting0040:

7. murdog94

Got ya.. Well i would try jumping them both... If the high pressure switch is out then you will need both of them jumped to work properly.
    As to you hearing the door move that is the blend door that is moving.. That is supposed to happen.

8. ecuoly

ecuoly New Member

Well I gave up on her and took it to a buddy that knows A/C. He said there is a ground that is not grounding or a pinched ground somewhere. Since we need the burb for the weekend he just grounded it at the A/C relay so that the compressor will always stay on when the car is on and we'll have A/C. Question.....will this hurt the compressor with it always running and not cycling?

9. murdog94

Not really, as long as its not planned to be premanent. And the AC cycling depends on the duty cycle and how hot it is. Up here in MN during the summer months when we need AC mine never cycles it just runs... So i would have a good trip and handle finding that bad ground when you get back.
    Sorry i wasnt more help.

10. div4scpro

div4scpro New Member

okay guys, i know about the switch next to the accumulator, i assume thats the low pressure cutout, where is this high pressure switch you talk about? If i jumper at the switch by the accumulator nothing changes but if i jumper at the AC compressor relay the compressor clutch engages as long as the engine is running. Is one of the pins at the relay supposed to go to a ground that is prone to failure?

97 K1500
    Andy