No back up lights!!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by mwolfe25, Mar 20, 2010.

1. mwolfe25

mwolfe25 New Member

Hey guys i have a 2002 Cheve Burban and i need some help i have no back up lights. Under the hood i have two diffrent fuses one is a back up light fuse and the other is the vehicle back up fuse. What is the difference? Also how do i fix this?

2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

On the fuses,....One is for Vehicle Back-Up Lamps.........It is Labeled....VEH / BU
    The 2nd one is Back-Up Trailer Wiring....It is Labeled.....TRL / BU

The Vehicle Backup light fuse...would be the one to look at.
    You did not mention,if you have checked the Back-Up Lamps[Lights] to see if they are burned out??

3. mwolfe25

mwolfe25 New Member

I checked the back up light bulbs and they were not blown also i did check out the fuses and they looked good. I just don't know what to do next? Is there a switch somewhere?

4. shadowt_t

shadowt_t Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

check the nagative wire if its connected well to the body as u know the bulb nagative line taken from the body so check it maybe there is some rust on connection

5. Allmostsmart

Allmostsmart Rockstar

If you have a simple multi-meter you can check the sockets themselves for power and check their continuity to ground. Being that it is a 2002 I really don't think that is the case and being that they are both inop. I would double check that fuse. It might look ok but throw a known good one in it to be sure.

6. mwolfe25

mwolfe25 New Member

Hey guys i found out that it was the neutral safety switch on the transmission that was bad, i checked all the wire and then i pulled out my manual and looked at the schmatic and then bypassed the switch with the truck key in the on position. Like magic my back up lights came on at least i know whats wrong now and i'll get it fixed. Thanks guys for the help. :great: