1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

no back up lights

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by freddie, Apr 23, 2012.

1. freddie

freddie New Member

On my 03 Avalanche one of my back up lights stopped working. So i bought new bulbs. The old bulbs didnt look blown so i tried them in the tail lights and they worked. I checked all the fuses and they were good. Also when i changed the bulbs i changed both sides and now neither one will work. Some how i did get them both to come back on for a little while when i was testing the socket with a test light. Some one told me to look at the circuit board but i really dont know what do with it. Why do we even have a circuit board? How do i tell if the board is bad andhow bad is it to change out? If anyone knows anything about this please help. Thanks.
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

This is the factory lights right? Check the socket. Alot of Avalanche owners have had problems with them coroding. Are you the first owner?
  3. freddie

freddie New Member

I am the second owner. The sockets appear to be in good shape. Anderson yes it is factory.
  4. Enkeiavalanche

And you said with the Test light it works fine?
  5. freddie

freddie New Member

Tested the test light ong the battery before and after to make sure ot works
  6. Enkeiavalanche

Did you test the leads by the socket? (the wires)
  7. moogvo

moogvo Moderator 1000 Posts

try to flex the circuit board a little while they are on. See if they intermittently come on and go off. If they do, the board has either a broken trace or a cold solder joint.
  8. freddie

freddie New Member

I tested just the inside of both of the sockets. I was kinda short on time. It will be thursday or friday before i gwt to work on it again. Just wanted today seee what else i need to check. Sorry for the misspelled words my mobile web wont let me fix them for some reason.reading
  9. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts

So, let's not get this problem overly complicated.

Before you took it apart, you had one side working, one side not working..........................probably a bulb.

You took both side apart and now neither side works...............probably using the wrong bulbs, or a blown fuse.
  10. moogvo

moogvo Moderator 1000 Posts

Don't ya HATE when that happens?! I even have that problem on my iPad... It decides to alter words I type in. (that's why every single one of the posts I make from my phone or pad have been edited)