1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

no brake light issue

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by 98burban89, Oct 11, 2010.

1. 98burban89

98burban89 New Member

so i have a 98 chevy suberban with the vortec v8 4wd and auto tranny and i went to plug in my trailer a while back and for some reason the break lights stopped working but they worked on the trailer so i just used it that way, so after i was done with the trailer i unplugged everything to find out that i still dont have brake lights, i have everything else like turn signals running lights and hazard lights but no brake lights, i have replaced all the bulbs and also replaced the brake switch under the dash on the brake pedel and i checked all the fuses in the fuse box in the door and also the one under the hood so please help i need this fixed soon
  2. giorge

giorge Rockstar 100 Posts

Did you check your fuses? Some Chevys have seperate fuses for the trailer and the vehicle its self. I would also check your wiring harness up under the back of your Suburban.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  3. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the site!!!...If giorge's suggestion does not work, I am sure others will have some more shortly.
  4. 98burban89

98burban89 New Member

ive checked all the fuses i can find
  5. giorge

Does your Suburban have the 2 fuse boxes 1 under the dash and the other under the hood?
  6. 98burban89

98burban89 New Member

yes it does
  7. giorge

If your Sububan came with the towing package it will have seperate fuses for you brake lights trailer and main as I stated in my other post. If neither one of those is bad, get test light and check your wiring in the back of your suburban, there might be some connectors underneath or a wire that has come apart. Without seeing one its kinda tough to picture it. I wish I could be more help, also check your ground wires. Good luck!

Find some thing to press down on the brake pedal and make sure you have power at the switch and again at the back!
  8. tmahan319

tmahan319 New Member

I am now having the same issue now let me know what you get.
  9. 98burban89

98burban89 New Member

i will when i finally figure it out i have been trying to track this issue down for almost 6 months now
  10. tmahan319

tmahan319 New Member

I saw in another post in on the web site something on the turn indicator switch is where the wires run unfortunately that is not a cheap part and you have to pull the steering wheel off. I will keep you posted on mine.