No Brakes, Brake Light comes on

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by MightyMax, Dec 10, 2010.

1. MightyMax

MightyMax Rockstar 100 Posts

'91 Silverado 350 V8
    So this morning I get in my truck....
    Start driving and then find that my travel for my brake pedal is really long....

I press it to the point that my brake light on the dash comes on, like I have the emergency brake on.

There is brake fluid in the resevoir

Obviously it is a bit tougher to stop.....

What do I need to check?
    That last time I drove it was Wednesday, and it was fine then.

---------- Post added at 07:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 AM ----------

I checked the fluid level....
    THere is fluid, but it is low...I will add some and see what happens...
    Hope that is all it is.

---------- Post added at 07:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 AM ----------

Looks like it was a fluid level issue.

Seems to be working better after having added in some.

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Sounds like you may have a bad line as well.. Just so you know. Or else the brake booster is going out etc.. but low fluid mean leak most likely..

3. ejohnson03

ejohnson03 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Recently experienced the same thing.

Turned out to be the Rear brake cylinders.

Had to replace them and the lines running to them, they were so rusted they broke off.

Good luck, have fun.

4. MightyMax

Ok, I will check the lines.
    That could very well be the problem.....will take a look at the brake pads/shoes as well.

5. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Did the light go out for you? On my 91 Suburban, when the brake light comes on, I have to pull the battery cable to let the light reset. It typically turns on on me when I push the brake pedal all the way to the floor. Never figured out exactly why it happens, there was nothing wrong with the brakes.

6. murdog94

Hey Crawdaddy i would take a look at your brake proportioning valve since to the floor isnt supposed to happen and a bad proportioning valve can cause that as well (no fluid loss) just the valve will stick and only give you front brakes which will in turn cause for the soft pedal since the rear brakes are what give you the firmness...

7. auzivision

auzivision Rockstar

I have the same thing with my truck and hope to sort it out this weekend. I'm suspect of the rear cylinders and will look for leaks there first. From what I've read pretty much if you are low enough on fluid to have extend pedal travel and a brake light, you have a leak somewhere that needs fixing. Also my understanding is if the brake booster is going south your pedal will be harder not softer. Mine is definitely softer with more travel.

8. murdog94

To correct my error i meant Master Cyl.... dingo me, ive had them go out like that where they acted goofy for a bit then one day they just quit... So thanks for pointing that out. i guess i need to learn how to proof read HAHAH..

9. MightyMax

So a brake booster going bad will show itself by making it harder to press the brake pedal, as if the engine were off?

If so, then not a brake booster issue for me....mine is definitely soft.
    It has been really cold (in the 20's at night)....so a cracked line would not surprise me.

---------- Post added at 01:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 PM ----------

For now the brake light went out, and I have not had to press all the way to the floor to stop either.
    So for now, adding in the fluid has worked....but I will want to check the lines I believe just to be sure...as well as keeping an eye on fluid levels.

There was a couple times while I was driving this morning that when I pressed to the floor and the light came on, it did not go off initially when I let off the brake.
    But I would pump the pedal and then it would turn off.

---------- Post added at 01:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 PM ----------

Where is he located, that may be something I want to check...
    While mine is working at the moment, it still soft and spongey feeling...
    Could be that my pads and shoes are worn down.....so I guess I will need to really look at them.

10. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Murdog, for me, this wouldn't happen while I was actually braking. I'd be sitting in line at a fast-food drive-thru, and getting bored, I'd slowly push the pedal as hard as I could into the floor. A couple times I apparently went too far and had the light come on. No big deal, didn't affect anything than driving me up the wall with the light on.