1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

No dashboard light on Silverado 2003

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by Jacob B, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Jacob B

Jacob B New Member

I have this problem with my Silverado, no light in the dashboard and not buttons that controls the 4wd.
    I replaced the switch, but no result. It´s imported to Sweden, so I dont know if there is something done with the lights, to get it legal here, that can sabobotage..
    Im glad if anyone have any ideas! Hope my english isnt too bad..

/
    Jacob

2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Your English is a lot better than my Swedish, but I need to ask a question for clarity.
    Do you have any lights working on the dash?
    Are you talking about the lights that come on when the key is turned (the lights in the gauge cluster)?
    Or, are you talking about the lights that come on at night when the headlights come on?
    Or, are you just talking about the 4 wheel drive lights?

3. Jacob B

Jacob B New Member

When I turn the key I have the engine light, parking brake, and some more, they all work.
    But I have no lights for the 4wd and when I turn on the headlights nothing happens (so I can´t see how fast I´m going).
    I have automatic headlights, not sure if that can make the problem.

/
    Jacob

4. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Jacob, this just a guess, have you tired the Instrument Panel Brightness Control, the Thumbwheel??

This Feature Controls the Brightness of the Instrument Panel Lights.
    ***The Thumbwheel for this feature is located next to the Headlamp Control.
    ***Turn the Thumbwheel up, or down, to adjust the Instrument Panel Lights.
    ***Turn the Thumbwheel up to return the Radio display to Full Brightness when the Headlamps or Parking lamps are on.

5. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Ok, there maybe more than one problem. The North American trucks (yours is probably the same) have a rheostat (a rotary switch that lets you change the brightness) switch. It is near the headlight switch. Full brightness is turned fully clockwise.

There may be a blown fuse. Usually the fuse panel covers have a fuse usage chart.

Edit: [MENTION=25593]99'HEARTBEAT[/MENTION] "beat" me to it, and clarified the type of rotation of the switch.

6. Jacob B

Jacob B New Member

I wish it was the brightnes control, but no.
    Will check the fuses again, but could not find any broken. Can it be the fuses next to the drivers door as well?

/
    Jacob

7. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Jacob.......you could check that fuse panel, next to the Driver's-Side Door.