Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

No-drill toolbox mounting

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by NevadaMI, Jan 19, 2009.

1. NevadaMI

NevadaMI New Member

Does anyone know anything about a product called Speed Latch. It's a kit of hardware for mounting a toolbox in the bed of a truck without drilling holes. Just wondering if it really works as good as the manuf says it does? Has anyone here used it / heard of it ??? Thx

2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

10 years ago I had a UWS box on a truck that was put on with one of these. Never had a problem with it at all

3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I dont have Speed Latch on my truck box, but I do have a no drill through the bedrail install that cost me about $2.
    When I bought the box the directions called for drilling through the bedrail, I didnt want to do that cause the truck was brand new. So I centered the box, measured out on the inside horizontal piece that rested on the bed rails where the inside edge of the bedrail was, marked this line parallel with the bedrails, then drilled holes a 1/2 inch inside of my marks parallel with the bedrails. I then used 2 "J" hooks per side of the box by putting the hooked portion under the bedrail and running the threaded portion up through the bottom of the box, I put washers and nuts on the threaded portion and secured them enough so the box doesnt move around.
    If you can find "J" hooks you can use "U" bolts and just shorten one of the legs by an inch or so.

4. NevadaMI

NevadaMI New Member

Thanks for the info. Glad to hear it works. Guess they've been around for a lot longer than I realized.

5. NevadaMI

NevadaMI New Member

Thanks for the reply. I heard about the "J" hooks, but I heard they may loosen over time?? Not sure if that was true. Also... I'm not sure the J hooks would be good for quick removal / replacement of the box? You probably need wrentches, etc. (I'm guessing.) The cost sounds great, but given Steve's reply, it sounds like Speed Latch would be worth the extra few bucks for what I want. Thanks again.

6. Scratch

Scratch Rockstar

We sell and install toolboxes. J hooks usually come with the toolbox and that's what we use. I see nothing wrong with the Speed Latch except you might have some difficulty drilling the hole in the toolbox in the right spot. If you get it wrong, your box will end up in the wrong position. You can do it, just make sure of your measurements before you drill the hole in the box.