1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

No drive in 2H or 4H - Transfer Case Problem?

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by fishnchipsx2, Dec 12, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. fishnchipsx2

fishnchipsx2 New Member

Hi,

Had a loud clunk while driving down the highway in my 1993 GMC Sierra in 2wd, and lost all drive. Can still feel the tranny shifting in and out of gear, but there's no drive to the wheels - except in 4L, which seems to work fine (albeit with some whirring!)

I'm suspecting transfer case, can anyone confirm this before I pull it? Linkage seems to be fine with a positive shift, although it does sometimes take some grinding and effort to get it into 4H and 2H. No visual signs of leaking fluid.

Thanks in advance!
  2. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 100 Posts

I'm far from a 4wd expert, but I hope someone can help you out. Hopefully I'll learn something new as well.
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

it seems to me that if it were the trans it would not move at all whether you were in 4lo, hi, or 2wd. It sounds like a tcase issue. if you put it in park with the tcase in 2wd or 4hi can you lift the rear wheels and spin the drive shaft by hand? (like it is not in park)
  4. K3500 Guy

K3500 Guy New Member

It has been a long time, but that sounds exactly like what happened to mine when my t-case went bad. If it was the tranny it wouldn't matter if you were in 4 high or low. Good luck.
  5. fishnchipsx2

fishnchipsx2 New Member

When I broke down on the highway, the truck would not hold itself on the hill in park while in 2H or 4H (which was a pita as a previous owner cut the e-brake cables!!)

I finally just got round the dropping the transfer case fluid - but it's come out nice and clean with no metal debris in there at all. Should I take the risk and purchase a replacement transfer case, or could the problem possibly be something else?

Thanks for the replies!
  6. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Get the truck up on jack stands, all 4 corners.

Start the truck and place the transmission in NEUTRAL and the t-case in 4WD. Turn off the truck.

If the t-case is good, turning the rear driveshaft (by hand) should turn one rear wheel, the front driveshaft and one front wheel.
  7. 88k2500

88k2500 New Member

I have a rebuilt t case that was for my 88 with floor shift. Dunno where ya live but it was done 2 years ago and put on a shelf in my garage.
  8. fishnchipsx2

fishnchipsx2 New Member

Cheers for the offer, but I live in Whistler near Vancouver so guess that's a bit far from WNY!

I'll get hold of some extra axle stands asap and give that a go, cheers.
  9. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Hey, Whistler is a great place, if ya need some help a lot of Canadian guys will probably come by if there's an invite, haha
  10. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 100 Posts

A guy I work with had this problem with his dodge. Turns put the trans case shifter fork was wollered out inside the t case. Rebuilt the trans case and works good as new