1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

No Four Wheel Drive

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by quadrider52, Feb 13, 2008.

1. quadrider52

quadrider52 New Member

First let me start by saying i have a 1994 k1500 pickup with the floor type 4x4 selection. I went to put it in four wheel drive and the light came on but no power went to the front wheels. I did some research and I now know that the actuators are known to go bad. But everything i've read said that the 4x4 light would not come on and mine comes on sometimes. Today i was driving and the light was going on and off. Does this sound like the actuator has gone bad or could it be something else. Thanks in advance.
  2. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

It may not be going completely into four wheel drive when you pull the lever down. Try yanking the lever down a little more and you may feel it kick in. I have the same style 4x4 selection you have in my 95 and sometimes when I pull mine down it doesnt go in so I gotta give it a little more pull. You may want to try putting it in neutral too it will help. You may have tried this already but its just a suggestion.
  3. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I agree with pete I also have a 95 that does the same thing You need to pull it pretty hard to get it to go in. I always put it in neutral, it just seems to work better that way.
  4. quadrider52

quadrider52 New Member

I was trying everything last night and it still wouldn't go in. I yanked on the lever, tried neutral, slow drive and slow reverse. I put it in 4 low it goes in to low but no power to the front wheels. Im thinking it may be that thermal actuator thing. I'm going to see if i can take it into school tomorrow and test the voltage at the actuator. If its the actuator should i just get the after market replacement one or spend the extra money to get the cable style manual type from posilock
  5. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Check the actuator or have it checked.