1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

No headlights or taillights 96 Tahoe

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by BigGreenUgly96, Sep 10, 2009.

1. BigGreenUgly96

BigGreenUgly96 New Member

I have a '96 Tahoe for a work vehicle. The head & tail lights are not working. Brake, reverse & blinkers are fine. The orange wire behind the light switch was melted and cause a few bare spots in other wires. I rewired them and get power to the smaller red wire, but that is it.

Is there a way to check the light switch? I checked the fuses. The lighting fuse in the engine bay was fine. Fuses 8 & 14(Illum) in the interior fuse panel are not getting power but are not blown. I hooked just the small red power wire to the switch & recieved no power to any other terminal post. I'm at a loss.
  2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Since you had a melted wire I would suspect a short somewhere. Start with the light switch. Take it apart and look at it. If it melted you will see it.
  3. BigGreenUgly96

BigGreenUgly96 New Member

I'll take it apart now. I have it sitting next to me now. I hate to buy another switch & have it fail too.