No Headlights

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by FergusonT, May 18, 2010.

1. FergusonT

FergusonT Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

This seems like somewhat of a common problem, but with different variations. My situation is a '99 suburban k1500, DRL's work fine, but if I turn the headlights on I get nothing except parking lights. I don't even get brights. Most people I have seen throughout the forums have at least had brights. Has anybody had luck troubleshooting this yet. I haven't seen one forum where there has been a working solution.....Thanks! I have seen that DRL module thing, but nobody has responded that it worked yet. I really want to avoid taking it to a dealer!

2. KidHauler

KidHauler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Welcome to the site.

I'd try checking out the relays in the fuse box under the hood. I can't remember if there are relays for both L and R, or just one for the whole system.

Good luck,

3. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Do the brights work at all? MTBF is mean time between failures. It is common for one bulb to go out and be quickly followed by the failure of the other light.

The bright bulbs are different from the low beams so it is possible to have lows and not highs, highs and not lows and i have even seen one low and one high.

4. FergusonT

No brights at all....just parking lights. I didn't see any relays for the headlights under the hood, but then again I didnt really have much time to look. I will poke around and see what I can find. I hope its not the multifunction switch on the steering column. I just read last night that it is tied into the headlights. not sure if thats true or not.

5. FergusonT

I just checked the relays under the hood, there is a 50amp fuse for lighting that is still good...i unpluged and plugged back in all the relays just to see if it was anything else. Nothing. DRL's work fine.......i guess thats what i'm stuck with until I can get it to a dealer.

6. KidHauler

KidHauler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I guess you could try a test light. Start at the socket and work your way back to the switch.

It's a little time consuming, but you won't be charging yourself $90 an hour.

7. FergusonT

Yes...a test light was my initial thought as far as troubleshooting. Start at the light socket? then the fuse, then where after that? I don't have a lot of experience in troubleshooting electronics besides stereos. I am almost tempted to run separate switches/wiring for the headlights/brights, depending on what I find out with the test light.