Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

No Heat/AC out of the front dash vents

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by vanhoand, May 16, 2012.

1. vanhoand

vanhoand New Member

Hi everyone.
    The truck with the issue is a 2006 2500HD (silverado). The blower is working but air only comes out of the top dash vents (defroster vents). I can't seem to get anything (hot or cold) out of the front of the dash and possibly also the foot vents. I don't have any problems controlling hot and cold so its not a blend door. Does anyone know what controls this or what/where I might need to check?

Thanks
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Either the mode actuator (which controls the mode/defrost/vents/floor setting) has gone bad or the plastic gears for the mode door have stripped. I'm willing to bet it's the former, as actuators are common problems in our trucks.
  3. vanhoand

vanhoand New Member

So are you referring to the "head unit" controller in the dash? Does the entire unit typically need to be replaced or is there a separate part of that which can be swapped? Also, do you have any tips on diagnosing that part as being bad?
  4. SurrealOne

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  5. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

x2 what he said ^^^^^^^^

I had the same problem in my truck. I couldnt get it to go to the defroster. Found that out on a cold rainy night driving through the mountains:grrrrrr:. The actuator had gone bad.
  6. jake's silverado

jake's silverado Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

ROFL....:rofl:
    Never saw that google page before....
  7. vanhoand

vanhoand New Member

I called up Orielly's and they have 4 different options for that part (2 of which don't sound right from the description). However, I can't tell which of the other 2 are correct...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [h=4]Dorman OE Solutions - Air Door Actuator[/h]$139.99 Each

Add to Printable List
    [h=5]Online: Available[/h][h=5]Call Store: Usually Avail. 24 Hrs[/h]Find store with item

• Limited Lifetime Warranty
    • Multiple Applications
      • Controls Air Conditioning Blend Door
        1. - Right
        2. - Temperature
        3. - Main Unit
        4. - Manual And Automatic Air Conditioning
        1. - Left
        2. - Temperature
        3. - Main Unit
        4. - Manual And Automatic Air Conditioning

Part # : 604-106 | Line: DOR

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [h=4]Dorman OE Solutions - Air Door Actuator[/h]$64.99 Each

Add to Printable List
    [h=5]Online: Available[/h][h=5]Call Store: Usually Avail. 24 Hrs[/h]Find store with item

• Limited Lifetime Warranty
    • Multiple Applications
        1. - Mode
        2. - With Automatic Controls
        1. - Mode
        2. - With Manual Controls
        3. - Without Custom Front Floor Console (D07)

8. SurrealOne

I suggest calling a stealership and requesting an over the phone quote for the mode door actuator. When they feed you a price ask them for the part number, too. Once you have the OEM part number you can feed it to O'Reilly's to get the proper actuator from them. I'm betting it's the 140 dollar unit, as 65 sounds way, way cheap for these (stealerships usually want $260-ish for them).

Surreal
  9. vanhoand

vanhoand New Member

Yeah, thats a good idea. I'll give it a shot. As far as price, its just a WT trim so nothing fancy on the controls or anything... Hopefully its the cheap one!
  10. vanhoand

vanhoand New Member

Yeah.... the stealership is a little stingy with their part numbers apparently. Would only give me a price.... ($80)
    Does anyone out there have the ability to look this part up for me based on the last 8 of the VIN?

6E256165