No heat in engine

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Erby, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Erby

Erby New Member

Hi I live in PA and own a 1992 4X4 Silverado with a 305 engine, I am wandering if anyone ever came across a problem like I have. I can't get my truck over 150 degrees, I changed thermostats 3 times,ran it without the fan,changed the heater hose quick connect,took the shroud off,blocked the front of the radiator,change the return heater hose to the water pump that was going to the radiator and last put a washer with a small opening in the top hose. Nothing worked!!! I am not stupid when it comes to cars, I've built 5 race cars and help out with my daughter in laws drag car. I also use a radiator thermometer and never trust the dash gauge. Any suggestion would help, the engine isn't getting hot enough to evaporate the moisture out of the block---hence my dip-stick is very rusty not to mention the fuel injection not getting to it's full working capacity.

2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

We are the Borg. Lower your truck and surrender your keys. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is futile. Erm, I mean ... welcome to GM Truck Club! :great:

My typical greeting delivered and being unable to address your concern, myself, I advise you to post your issue in the relevant technical section of the forums, as you'll get a wider readership on the topic and, perhaps, get a quicker response. Good luck and welcome!

3. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor

:sign0016: welcome to the club and enjoy the site......

and this situation you are in , and all you have done to date, has me scratching my head,,, re post this where one of the Gurus can chime in......My only thought would be a power flush of the cooling system and a flow check on the water jacket, but that doesn't equate with me either as this would cure an over heating problem ......

4. donyms

donyms Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Just a guess but are you sure you are putting the thermostat in right? the temp sensor goes on the engine side. Your problem seems typical open thermostat. Anyway, welcome to the club. Good luck on your project. :glasses:

5. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Just out of curiosity, what temp thermostat did you finally end up with? Also, if you used a Failsafe thermostat (which are common) that could be your problem, as those have a pretty bad reputation from continually getting stuck open...even if it is new.

6. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the G M T C ! As said above, post your question in the appropriate section to get more input. Good luck!

7. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I completely agree with mfleetwood! The fail safe thermostats I used in the past caused the same issue you are having. When my wife had a cavalier I put one of those in and it never got warm. Driving on the freeway in the winter required a blanket in her car. There was no heat at all. I switched the thermostat out with a new one and the problem was solved. Hope this helps

8. Erby

Erby New Member

Thanks to every one responding I use GATES thermostats and how in the world do I re post on the suggested sites? I put 192 s in it.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  9. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker Member 2 Years 500 Posts

Hmm.. I'm kind of having to scratch my head at this one as well. Pretty much the only thing that comes to my mind is plugged water jackets.. but that would more than likely have an adverse effect and overheat.

Does the truck run fairly well?

And the fact that you put a washer in line basically makes everything about the thermostats failing open irrelevant in my opinion.

---------- Post added at 01:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 AM ----------

Couple more questions:

Have you tried bypassing the radiator altogether?
    Is the coolant level consistently full?
    If you change your oil yourself... does it have a milky color to it?

Being into hotrods, I'm sure you understand my thinking on the questions I'm asking... just hasn't been brought up yet, so I wanna cover some bases. I am personally becoming stumped.. but I have lots of knowledge/experience at hand and will call around tomorrow.

10. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Don't worry about starting a duplicate thread.....You're thread has been moved to the proper location.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012