GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

no high speed engine rpm??????

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by DoubleDD, Dec 30, 2011.

1. DoubleDD

DoubleDD New Member

99 K1500 suburban. 350 engine. Engine revs up only if slow acellerator push but if sudden depress of gas pedal then engine seems to stop increasing in rpm and kind of diesels and stays at that rpm until you let off and slowly depress to increase. Does this on highway and also just in park. Any help?
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member

how many miles on this? my first though is fuel. Fuel filter change at all recently or maybe you need it done.
  3. DoubleDD

DoubleDD New Member

245000kms. have not done the fuel filter change since I had the truck. About 2 years.
  4. Ape

Ape New Member

Fuel filter and or injectors. My 89 was sort of doing that and I had to replace two of the injectors along with the fuel filter.
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  5. janikphoto

janikphoto New Member

Mine is a 1999 with 180k miles and it kind of does the same thing. It will drive fine, but I have to baby the pedal... I can't just womp on it for WOT speed. I thought it might be the trans getting old, but I haven't done the fuel filter yet. We'll see if the fuel filter does any good on mine.
  6. Ape

Ape New Member

If it's not that, make sure you give your injectors a good looking over. Like I said before, 2 of my injectors were barely even functioning and acting somewhat simliar to what you're saying. After I changed them out I was amazed at how much extra power I had along with making some of my tranny issues dissapear.
    Mine is a TBI FWIW.
  7. janikphoto

janikphoto New Member

Interesting... I seem to have power, but maybe there is more to be had?!? Mine is tbi as well. It's a pretty average 5.7L just like all the rest. Anyone have a good link to a replacement injector?
  8. Ape

Ape New Member

Not sure about links.......I got mine locally. But there's lots of choices to choose from if you do a search.
  9. janikphoto

janikphoto New Member

I did more reading and research on clogged injectors in suburbans, then I studied the way my truck drove a bit closer. I think that might be my problem and not something trans-related. I'm going to find a way to hopefully clean mine. If that doesn't work, I'll replace them. It more or less bogs down at WOT.
  10. Ape

Ape New Member

You might also want to look into the fuel regulator when you clean or replace the injectors. I replaced mine at the same time just to be safe.
  11. janikphoto

janikphoto New Member

Yeah, I read a nice long thread on some fishing boat forum, and the guys all said to change the fuel return regulator, if I remember correctly. A bunch of good info on the suburban, since so many guys use it to haul big boats, I guess... They talked about a bad injector design that allows excessive carbon build-up.
  12. dipstick

dipstick New Member

If yours is tbi.. you only have two injectors.

---------- Post added at 05:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:49 PM ----------

What i would do first ..clean the maf sensor . Can get maf cleaner at auto parts.
    Take off spray good .. let dry put back. Make sure all down stream of maf is tight and air filter is clean Do not touch filaments on maf... and dis connect battery first.
    Lets get the maf and fuel filter out of the equation.. go from there.
    Are you getting a service light?
  13. Ape

Ape New Member

Ya, sorry.....Didn't mean to imply I have more than 2.

By the way.....I just had a new gremlin pop it's head up on my 89 burb this morning. It started just fine, but when I went to turn on the heater it shut everything down. :-( It did this 2 times and then I had no power to anything after that. So now I'm trying to figure out what would be shorting the entire thing out. :-/
  14. DoubleDD

DoubleDD New Member

Changed the fuel filter and now she's just like new! Full of gitty up and Go!