1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

no more grill guard

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by reggiecab2000, Nov 24, 2012.

1. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

last time seeing my truck like this...

1.jpg

gonna be selling my grill guard too, I love this thing to death, but i really am striving for that prerunner bumper look now.
    5.jpg

7.jpg

lower valance off, i took the fogs off too, unfortunately less light on the road now, everything feels so dark now at night :(

8.jpg

bumper is next, just gotta get through all the rusted bolts and awkward hand positions to get it off,
    HOPEFULLY seeing my truck without any kind of bumper will flip a switch in me to start making my bumper lol

striving for this kind of look (similar)
    crew_cab_pre_runner.jpg photo 2.jpg

you get the picture
  2. FrigginNoodles

FrigginNoodles Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

Looking good there reggiecab. I feel ya with the fog lights missing. I removed my lower valence when I put my plow mounts on and am waiting until next year to see if the plow is something I want to keep before I cut my bumper around it. I am constantly about to turn on my missing fog lights driving down quiet roads at night.

Can't wait to see what you do with this. Are you going to fab the bumper yourself? Any plans for mounting lights on the finished bumper to make up for the lack of fogs? If so you should make a thread about it so we can all follow your progress. Also I like the black skid plate on the upper pic of the pre runner bumpers. I think your truck would look great with the chrome bar on the grill black and a black bumper.
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

To bad that you live so far away. I would be interested in buying your guard. It looks heavy duty. Not like the flimsy crap that I see driving around here.
  4. reggiecab2000

already doing that with my fog switch too! :/

yes i am going to fab it myself, maybe with the help of someone who would have better welding skills to make some clean welds, but i will definitely do all the pipe bending myself.

lights? hell yes! i am going to reuse my KC daylighters, unless i decide they are to bulky, then i would obviously sell them and get some slimmer lights. (and maybe even brighter?) great another way to waste money lol

i will definitely make a thread once i do that, dont expect it too soon though guys! hopefully ill have my bumper off in the next few days and assuming my knowledge of the law is correct you must have a front bumper on your car, that means i have until february before my inspection is due, to finish the bumper! if this is not true, dont correct it, or you risk ruining my motivation for doing this project asap! lol

im sorry about that pikey, would be cool to trade off with someone in a friendly forum.

for the ranch hand grill guard i have, (~450.00-500.00 when bought new, combined with line-x xtra coating ~225.00 and with the line-x warranty paperwork) used obviously but in flawless condition minus a few dead butterlies on the grill, what would be a fair craigslist price i should ask while being realistic. $400.00? + / - ?
  5. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

I like the design on the bumper... My only thoughts are that it is pretty open. I myself would add some plate steel to provide addition protection to the radiator and other items exposed but that is just my opinion... Wouldn't want rocks, sticks or other debris getting up in there and breaking something.
  6. ChromeSilver02

ChromeSilver02 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

I think the prerunner look will be great on your truck so I like your direction. I havent seen any single cab prerunners but in NC nobody has prerunners lol
  7. reggiecab2000

yeah thats why ill definitely make a nice proportioned skid plate on it too, to cover most of the center mass, the corners im not so concerned with, but im sure once i get there ill be doing alot more thinking

thanks man
  8. reggiecab2000

UPDATE:
    finally got the bumper off!

took about a week of soaking the 4 bolts in PB blast and a nice breaker bar to finally get them off...

had my little man help me with the last nut :)

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

driver side: I'm definitely going to relocate the factory grounding loom you see right there, to somewhere inside the frame rails under the hood.

also open to suggestions about what to do with the windshield wiper reservoir right there, just paint it black? any way to relocate these?

12.jpg

passenger side: not too much showing, looks decent

13.jpg

guess ill keep my license plate on top my dash for now, since I believe its required on the front in Texas,
    went by harbor freight today to pick up their $49.99 tube/pipe notcher, but they didnt have it in stock :/
    all i need is that, some pipe, and the northern tool pipe bender, and I got a shop at school to weld, then im all set to start!
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  9. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I don't think you can relocate the wiper fluid, but I would make sure that is protected from debris and impact. Painting it back will look nice tho.
    IMO having those body mounts exposed like that may end badly. Actually aren't those the radiator mounts?
  10. BlackSmoke*

BlackSmoke* Member 1 Year

Damn, I might have to go down to South Texas again. I've always wanted to put a bumper on my 04 Avalanche but wasn't sure what would fit.