1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

no oil pressure at start up...sometimes?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Smithd24, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Smithd24

Smithd24 New Member

hello everyone. I recently pruchased a 2002 trailblazer LT. Lately I have been experiencing a scary situation with this vehicle. Approximately 1 out of every 5 times that I start this vehicle up, the oil pressure guage reads "0" and my dashboard displays "Turn engine off." This does not make any sense to me. I turn the engine off and when I start it up again, the guage reads normal. I dont understand...please help. Is it possible that the guage could be malfunctioning? Why else would the guage read "0"...every now and then?
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Chances are good its a gauge issue. To be sure you should hook a mechanical gauge to the engine and try to reproduce the fault.
    To install a mechanical guage you'll need an adaptor to install in the sensor port, preferably an adaptor that allows the sensor to be installed at the same time. Dealerships have an adaptor designed to do this test, maybe a local garage will have one and you can borrow theirs or get them to test the system.
  3. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Could be a bad anti drain back valve.

Couple of things to look at: Faulty sensor, faulty gauge, or something as simple as a faulty oil filter. First check for the obvious, like a loose wire on the oil pressure sensor. Try the recommended test to check the sensor/gauge, and don't forget that the oil filter it should have a functioning ADBV. See the Wix filter site for more info. Wix.com

Chevy Parts
  4. Smithd24

Smithd24 New Member

thanks for the imput... come to think of it, the vehicle just started doing this after my last (and first since ive owned the vehicle) oil change. so...chances are, my engine is fine???
  5. Smithd24

Smithd24 New Member

Is it possible that the people who changed my oil could have put the wrong oil filter on...? causing this problem.
  6. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Sure is, did you have it done at one of those quicky lube places?

They hire kids most of the time, that’s why the oil changes are so cheap.
  7. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Live by quicky lube, die by quicky lube.

Yikes! I forgot to mention did you check the oil level? And stay away from quicky lube joints, the money you save up front will cost you in the end. Just do a search on any of the quicky lube names in any auto forum for the horror stories.:eek:
  8. Smithd24

Smithd24 New Member

the oil level is full. i had the oil changed at valvoline express care. the charged me 34.00 to change the oil. do you think i should take the vehicle back to them, advise them of my problem, and ask them to check to make sure that they put the proper oil filter on?
  9. Smithd24

Smithd24 New Member

the vehicle is a 2002 trailblazer LT. I believe it has a 4.6 liter vortec in it. does anyone know the proper oil and filter that is recommended for this vehicle. thanks a ton!!!!!