1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

No oil pressure

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by BlueTezza39, Dec 18, 2011.

1. BlueTezza39

BlueTezza39 New Member

My dad drives a 2008 Chevy 1500 silverado, he was driving it the other day and his oil pressure gauge dropped to 0 and the CEL came on. the truck drives fine, and he checked the oil and its not low. I'm assuming the gauge might be bad or something? has this happened to anybody else? its been this way for about 4 days, thanks
  2. dipstick

dipstick Member 2 Years 100 Posts

What i would do have oil pressure checked by all means. Also could be a stepper motor has gone bad or sender .. but you have a light.
    Would get checked out if you run it with no oil pressure tear up jack.
  3. BlueTezza39

BlueTezza39 New Member

well how would i check?
  4. dipstick

dipstick Member 2 Years 100 Posts

You will have to have a gauge . Probably be best to take by a garage .. unless you know how to use gauge .where to connect. ect.
    Also if you find it to be stepper motor ..look up recalls on your year ect. Was recalls .Google .
    Could take a valve cover off see if it is getting good oil up to rockers. will pump it on engine bay ect. if it has good pressure. so watch /be careful. Are any other gauges acting wrong?
  5. BlueTezza39

BlueTezza39 New Member

no this is the only gauge acting up, would taking it to autozone and getting the CEL code checked be any help?

---------- Post added at 04:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:26 PM ----------

also everything im reading about the stepper motor is for 2007 or earlier trucks. does this still happen on the newer models?
  6. dpeter

dpeter Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

I would replace the sending unit as that will be most likely culprit in this case given what you have described. If the oil pressure has tuely dropped to zero then it is not running four days later. Ya, ya, ya, I know Chevy's are tough but they're not that tough.
  7. Ethan

Ethan Rockstar 100 Posts

Pretty much this, I bet anything the oil pressure sending unit has gone bad, and your oil pressure is fine. It'll set the MIL or CEL light because the computer is monitoring that, and if it sees 0 psi, it'll throw a trouble code, not necessarily meaning that you have no oil pressure, but it's just seeing what the sensors are giving it. If you had 0 psi oil pressure, that engine would of locked up in less than 10 miles, assuming it even made it one mile.