1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

No power

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by sierra11, Sep 24, 2012.

1. sierra11

sierra11 Member 100 Posts

For about 2 months now sometimes when my tank of gas get to about an 8th left I start having problems. I'll lose all my power going down the road and the rpms drop to almost idling. I need to know do you think its built up trash or water. I've had the truck over a year now and it didn't start til about August
  2. Kady

Kady New Member 100 Posts

Have you changed your fuel filter? They should be done roughly every two oil changes... Also, these trucks aren't made to let the tank run low. You can burn out your fuel pump because they're made for the fuel inside the tank to cool the actual pump.
  3. dpeter

dpeter New Member 100 Posts

Seems odd that it only occurs at an eigth tank so I would not suspect water as it would be at the bottom all the time. Same goes for fuel filter, not at all likely to glog and unclog along with fuel level. Maybe bad level gage or float but if run low I would have expected it to quit running and not limp along. Perhaps a failing pump or small hole in pick up at those levels?
  4. sierra11

I guess yeah it could be the fuel pump because there is a whining noise at certain speeds when i'm on the gas. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't there 2 on these trucks? how hard would it be replace one?
  5. moogvo

moogvo Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

This doesn't help you with your current issue, but you should NEVER run your truck below 1/4 tank of fuel. It will shorten the life of the fuel pump by half if you do it enough!

That said, you might have a small hole in the line that becomes exposed once the fuel level drops down that low. To see it first hand... Pop a hole in a drinking straw and try to drink from it.
  6. sierra11

Haha good example alright I'll try and fill up before I get to that point. She is always so thirsty
  7. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Some good suggestions, have you considered, that it may be empty when it reads 1/8th, maybe your sucking air.
  8. moogvo

moogvo Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I understand thirsty trucks. I fill mine when it drops to 3/4 tank... 3/8 tank while on the road. (that's a quarter plus half of a quarter or exactly between 1/4 and 1/2 of a tank for those not two gud with fractions! LOL!)
  9. sierra11

Yeah I guess I should just fill her up at 1/4. No I didn't think it was sucking up air cause it will go away after a minute.