No Running Lights

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by hurstolds455, Jan 20, 2009.

1. hurstolds455

hurstolds455 New Member

I Have a 1988 K 1500 I've had the problem on and off for a couple years driving along and the fuse to the driving lights pop. pull over put in a new fuse and then everythings great for weeks or months. Now I have no Runiing lights and as soon as you put a fuse in (any size 30 40 amp) it pops before you can let go of it. all other lights work great just replaced the headlight switch ( different problem).
    Anybody got any ideas? Thanks Jack

2. mrfixdit

mrfixdit Rockstar 100 Posts

running lights

If it blows that big a fuse that quick I would say you have a direct short. I would start with checking all the bulb sockets for corrosion. If they all look good leave the bulbs out of their sockets and use an ohm meter to check for continuity between the connection tabs on the bottom of the sockets and the socket sidewalls (or the vehicle frame) hopefully you can narrow it down that way, good luck.

3. Howie

Howie Rockstar

I have to second the above.

I scratched my head for days because I had no rear running lights, and after all of it, it turned out to be a dirty headlamp connector. Mine happened to be the drivers side. Wiggles connector and it worked.

4. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

A note of caution. I wouldn't recommend using a fuse that is larger than specified by the manufacturer. These days to save weight and the cost of copper, the mfg uses wire sized to the circuit. If you put a 30amp fuse in a 10amp circuit, the wire becomes the fuse.

I had the experience of a body shop using a 30amp fuse in a 15amp circuit to "fix" my complaint after repair. The harness running to the rear of the vehicle melted from the heat and several circuits gradually became one. The repair was expensive, but the body shop had to eat the cost. Luckily it didn't catch fire.

If you're not comfortable troubleshooting the short then seek professional help. Otherwise you can start at the fuse box and work backward or start at the bulb socket and work forward.