No spark and no power to fuel pump

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by NE1469, Jun 21, 2009.

1. NE1469

NE1469 New Member

Okay I have a 99 Tahoe with the 5.7 Vortec. Driving it at around 35 mph and it quit. I coasted to the side and tried to refire but nothing. I tried pouring gas into the throttle body and still nothing. I pulled a plug and tested for spark, there is none. Also when I do try to start it the fuel pump does not kick on. So what could cause the power to the fuel pump to quit and the engine not getting and spark? I replaced the Dist. cap and rotor button and have checked all fuses in side panel and panel under hood.

2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I would check for codes as that will tell you what failed. I have seen a bad PCM do this.

3. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Not often to get both loss of spark and failed fuel pump at the same time. Did you check for spark at the plug wires instead of at the plugs? Fuel pump trouble is very common. If you search these forums for "fuel pump" you will find lots of posts. Get back to us with those DTC codes and what you find.

4. NE1469

NE1469 New Member

I pulled the plug wire and inserted a screw driver. No spark between that and the block so I pulled the spark plug with the plug wire attached and no spark from there either. I currently have the coil off and will be taking to AZ to get checked. Would the PCM cause no spark as well as no power to the pump? Thanks for the replies so far.

5. NE1469

NE1469 New Member

I forgot to mention that it is also a new fuel pump. I put it in about a month agao and have had no problems with it. Just to make sure I double checked all muy connections and they all look good. I also replaced the fuel regulator switch in the fuse box under the hood.

6. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

If the coil is not receiving power it will not fire. Have you checked it with a volt meter? Is your check engine light on?

7. iPublicEnemy47

iPublicEnemy47 Rockstar 100 Posts

its more likely the fuel pump .... mine started to go out like 4-5 months ago and my truck is only 9 years old

8. 2ToNe04

2ToNe04 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

check your grounds

always good to check

9. lucaslaw

lucaslaw New Member

anti-theft?

This happened to a Corvette of mine years ago, it was an anti theft system gone nutzo, just an idea. Drove me nutzo trying to figure it out.

LL

10. NE1469

NE1469 New Member

Was your system under the hood with a switch you had to flip? I have a system on mine that is like that. Never thought about it going bad. Right now I have the coil off of it to get it checked but Auto Zone cannot seem to find the check code for it and I am not sure about how to check it myself. Anyone have any suggestions, other than putting it back on and sticking a screwdriver in the coil wire?