no spark when trying to start

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by Brian Connell, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Brian Connell

Brian Connell New Member

I got a 97 Chevy 2500 3/4 ton and I have no spark and need help in what the problem might be?

2. Revredneck

Revredneck Rockstar 100 Posts

Have you checked for spark at the coil wire going to the distributor? Could be as simple as a bad coil wire, or bad distributor cap and rotor. Is the coil getting power? It should have a full 12 volts with the ignition switch on at the big (Pink, I think) wire on the coil. Connect a 12V test light to the small primary wire at the coil and crank the engine to see if the coil is being switched off and on to provide spark. Light should flash when cranking if your trigger system is working. I'd say you're 90% likely to find your problem by checking these simple things.
    Good Luck and God Bless

3. Brian Connell

Brian Connell New Member

yeah I replaced the plugs wires cap an rotor and the pick up module to and still no spark and there is no spark gettin to the plugs or coil so I'm thinkin its the distributor its self

4. BobEhud

BobEhud Rockstar

Do this next pull the control module out of the dist.take the cap and rotor off should be right under the rotor have wires coming into to dist and wires going out held with some 8mm or 1/4 bolts.Buy a new one-make sure to use the grease on the back of it.

5. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Test the CKP - Crank Position Sensor