Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

No start- low oil pressure

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Andymi, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Andymi

Andymi New Member

My 2000 Suburban stopped running as I was driving along at about 30 mph, and the low oil pressure light came on and the truck died.

It will crank, but will not start.

I noticed a couple of other things. I had about 1/3 of a tank, and no low fuel light on, but once it died, the fuel guage is not reading any fuel. Also, the dear shift indicator box that tells you what gear you are in is not lighting up. I put another 5 gallons of fuel in and still nothing is registering on the fuel guage.

I get the feeling there is some sort of protective mode for the car, so that if there is low oil pressure you do not blow it up.

I tried quick start to eliminate fuel supply as the problem, and when I checked for spark, there is none.

Any ideas?

2. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site! Have you tried to add oil to it? I know that GM has a low oil pressure sending unit that will do that to protect the engine in the event of low oil so try adding oil and see what happens.

3. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Mght also be a blownfuse. The gear indicator should work no matter what. Simply turning the key to the on position should yield the gear. Check your fuses and oil level. Right now might just be a good time to change the oil. Check to make sure you don't have any large metal stuff in the oil as it's draining... Good luck

4. Andymi

Andymi New Member

I changed the oil a couple of weeks ago. I checked it and it was full. No loud noise or anything when it stopped. It just kind of shut off.

When I crank it, I am getting a 40 lbs reading on the guage while it is cranking.

I checked some of the fuses, but I guess I need to play with the relays and the fuses.

5. H.A. REDNECK

H.A. REDNECK New Member

sounds like fuel pump. can you hear the fuel pump whine when you turn the key to [on]

6. Andymi

Andymi New Member

and it was........ the fuel pump.

Thanks.

7. THEEDGE714

THEEDGE714 New Member

FYI...the protection system is setup so that if you lose oil pressure, the fuel pump will shut off. If you start having long cranks before the motor will start, it is due to this protection system usually. What happens is the fuel pump relay goes bad so you don't have any fuel pressure, but as you crank the motor the oil pressure rises up and once it gets past 40psi(I think), it bypasses the relay and turns on the fuel pump which starts the motor. So if you have long crank times...check your fuel pump relay!!

Doug