1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

No Start problem driving me crazy

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by IWannaGoFishin, Oct 15, 2013.

1. IWannaGoFishin

IWannaGoFishin New Member

2004 Chev 1500 Suburban. About one month ago I had to replace the battery. No big deal. It was old and would not hold a charge. After that, I started having intermittent starting problems. When you turn the key to the start position you can hear the relays click and the fuel pump come on, but the motor does not turn over. And no click from the starter solenoid. All the lights on the dash come on like normal. This happens about every 7 to 10 days. I have checked the new battery, replaced the starter, checked all the grounds, and replaced the starter relay. The truck has also been to a trusted mechanic, but it would never "not start" for him, so it could not be tested in the non-start state. In the last 2 days I have discovered that if I wiggle or tap on the Starter Relay in the fuse box the truck will start. It will also start if I use a jumper wire between the 87 and 30 pins for the relay. So I replaced the Starter Relay again, but I am still having the same issue. I am starting to suspect a bad connection in the fuse box itself. Am I missing something?? Should I replace the fuse box? And how hard would that be? It's just a box with a bunch of fuses and plugs right?
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

First off ... Welcome to the site. How many miles on your Burban?

Are any of the connectors corrorded? Can you get in there with a fine brush and try to clean it all out?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
  3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I like your screen name too by the way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
  4. IWannaGoFishin

The Sub has 140K miles. I don't think that I have anything that is thin and abrasive enough to clean the electrical connections. If I understand the fuse block.................It is simply a junction point where several Wiring Harness connections (pigtails) come in at the bottom of the fuse block. The fuses and relays at the top of the box simply push into those pigtails. I don't think that the fuse block itself does anything except hold those connections in one place. So I'm beginning to suspect a loose or corroded connection on the pigtail side of the Starter Relay. And I'm considering taking it apart to check that connection. But there are a lot of connections there, so it could be tough to find.
  5. IWannaGoFishin

Well, I was finally able to get the Sub to "not start" when I had it at the shop. Mechanic traced the problem back to a burnt connection on the ignition switch. So I had the switch replaced. I believe they found the problem, but I won't completely trust the Sub until it starts every day for at least a month. If you don't hear from me, you can assume that it is fixed.