1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

No tail lights, 78 Cheyenne

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by jdanger, Jul 19, 2008.

1. jdanger

jdanger New Member

My tail lights are not coming on, I have brakes and turn signals. The fuse is good too, just no tail lights. Could it be a short somewhere? I'll know tomorrow also if my battery is draining, it did it yesterday and thought I had a bad battery but it charged up well and seemed fine all day. I tried to look at all of the wires from the cab on back and didn't see any exposed and touching metal, but gonna go through it all again tomorrow. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Joe
  2. collinsperformance

collinsperformance New Member

if the turn and 4ways come on the wiring is good. I bet the brake switch is out of alignment or bad. look on the brake pedal assembly up under the dash and look for the switch and see if the brake hits it and then see if there is 12 volts to it.............mike
  3. Rumpamuro

Rumpamuro New Member

Is it tails or brake lights that dont come on?

Do your front headlights and parking lights come on?
  4. retired2001

retired2001 New Member 1000 Posts

I had a '77 and from what I can remember, there was a problem with "grounding" at the tail lights, so if all else fails might try there.
  5. jdanger

jdanger New Member

It is just the tail/running rear lights. Headlights, parking lights, brake lights all work fine.... figured it was a short somewhere but even looking again today can't find any bare wires touching metal.
  6. jdanger

jdanger New Member

The brake lights work though.....
  7. collinsperformance

collinsperformance New Member

sorry i miss read that. take a volt meter and see if there is 12-15 volts to the rear socket when the light switch is on and the running lights should be on. if you got volts to the socket it is a ground issue. if there is not 12 volts then the light switch might be the issue........mike
  8. inspectormatt

inspectormatt New Member

If there is no power at the taillight socket, it could be a broken wire in the turn signal switch wiring assembly in the steering column. Check the wires from the turn signal switch in the steering wheel down to the connector that is mounted on the steering column towards the firewall. I had no brake lights once because of a broken wire at the connector.