1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

No Tail Lights

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Ben456, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Ben456

Ben456 New Member

I have a 1994 GMC suburban. The tail lights recently quit working. The front parking lights work, and the brake lights work and the instument panel lights work. I put new bulbs in and checked the fuse. I checked the circut board in the tail light itself and they seem ok. I also tried replacing the headlight switch. I later discovered that the trailer marker lights do not work. Are there any other weak points to check? Are the tail lights and the front parking lights on the same circut? Also I have heard that there is a fuse box under the hood as well as the one under the dash. Is this true? If so where is it, as I have not been able to find it.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Ben
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have seen the headlight switch go bad and cause the tail lights to not work. You might want to grab a test light and check the switch out.
  3. Ben456

Ben456 New Member

Checked that already.
  4. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts

Ben, the front marker lights and the rear marker lights are part of the same circuit, but they might not share anything except the common switch and 12 volts from the battery. Usually, the front and rear are separately fused (just so a short doesn't put all lights out). You may have a blown fuse (it's probably in the fuse panel under the hood), but why did it blow? If you find a blown fuse, it may blow when replaced. If it does, check the wiring under the truck, going to the rear, there may be a bare spot.
  5. Ben456

Ben456 New Member

So there is a box under the hood then? I have not been able to find it. Where is it located? That is what I have been thinking too, about the wiring going to the rear and the question of why would it blow. Only problem is I am not finding a blown fuse and I do not see any visible problems, although I have not checked real thoroughly in the area where the wiring goes up to the hood.

On my 1995 I blew the fuse for the tal/marker/dash lights when I hooked up a trailer with bad wiring. With that one everything was all one fuse, but I think that the wiring may be different between the 94 an the 95. The fuse box is in between the door and the dash instead of under the dash next to the stearing column, anyway