1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

No tailights on my 1989 C1500 pickup

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by airforrest, Feb 1, 2014.

1. airforrest

airforrest New Member

I just started having this problem with no taillights. Driving home lastnight, and the Headlights were on, I noticed when I turned, my directional were not working, and when I turned the Key off, it was making a funny..........like dying seatbelt alarm type sound, which I haven't ever heard b4. Today while driving with the Headlights off, the Directionals were working, and with every click...the indicator panel on my Heat/AC control was flashing along with the directional, on, and off, and when I would step on the Brake pedal, the Heat/AC panel indicator light would go out, till I took my foot back off the Brake pedal..........also, I have no back-up lights either? Things I have done today: Put all new Fuses in the Fuse panel( none were blown), installed a new Headlight Switch, and checked all the Bulbs in the Tailights..........They were all good. None of this helped my no Tailight problem. Does anyone have an idea what could be going on with this?? Thanks for any help !!! FS
  2. zuki82

zuki82 Member 100 Posts

first thing I would be checking is all the ground wires! The main ground that goes from the firewall to the engine block, batt. to the frame, then work your way to the back ones! During all this, keep an eye out for anyplace where the wiring harness might be rubbing! Good Luck!!!!
  3. fugitive

fugitive Member

Besides what has been listed above have a good look at both bulb socket assemblies for signs of shorts or contamination (clean and lube with dialectric grease)
  4. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

:sign0016:To The Club!! Check in the rear where the taillight wiring harness plugs into the harness that heads up toward the cab. Ive seen issues with where the plug gets all corroded and almost eating the plastic plug away until it shorts.. the signals and running lights might be shorting with ground. This would explain the strange lights coming on or blinking with signals ect. Wont hurt to check Hope ya find the electrical gremlin.:lol:
  5. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

X2 for grounds. Anytime you have other lights flashing with the turn signals, you have back feed through a poor ground.
  6. Scott_Anderson

Scott_Anderson Member 2 Years 100 Posts

X3 for checking grounds.

Do you have an after market trailer plug tapped in at the back?

IIRC the newer wiring harness for the box doesn't use the frame/box for ground anymore, so either you have dirty plug connections, or the ground point for the harness is getting bad.
  7. airforrest

airforrest New Member

Got them working again

It is the strangest thing.........I bought these aftermarket taillights off eBay about 6 months ago. I took them off the other day to check the bulbs, they were fine, so I plugged them back up, and re-installed them. Now everything works again???? Thanks everyone for all your input !! Forrest
  8. airforrest

airforrest New Member

Well..............The Tailights quit working again. It WAS a grounding issue, but not where you would suspect it! After replacing all the Fuses, the Turn Signal Switch, the Headlight Switch, and the Brakelight Switch........ The real culprit was this set of New, aftermarket Tailights I got off eBay ! There was actually a short in the Right Rear Tailight. I never would have thought that because they were new? Oh well.... live, and learn! lol Thanks again all for your inputs....
  9. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

I shop ebay often but you do often get what you pay for.. A lot of chineese made stuff there.