No torque in 4HI, acting sluggish

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Lil Butch, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Lil Butch

Lil Butch New Member

I noticed the other day when i bogged down in some mud that when I shifted into 4hi my rpms wouldn't climb over 1.5, would just barley turn my tires just not enough to get out. I wasn't in anything deep or nasty just some sand and water nothing bad, so I locked it into 4low and it crawled right out with no problem. My question is what could be casuing my truck not to rise over 1.5 rpms in 4hi (btw that was having the pedal to the floor) I just dont have the slightest clue what it could be.

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

There is a posibility that the tranny was stayed in 2nd gear.. Also the sand might have grabbed the tires enough to not allow the power that you were looking for.. have you tried the 4hi out on a normal surface? I know that my truck doesnt pull hard at all in 4hi and boggs pretty good when im pushing it off road.. I usually use 4lo just to be sure i dont get in to much trouble.

3. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Any other reason to think there's a problem? I'm not sure I necessarily see a problem based solely on what is posted here.
    I haven't looked up the spec (a good transmission manual should have it), but, with enough traction to prevent the wheels from spinning in 4H, and what you could be seeing is simply the stall speed of the torque converter. Where it "crawled right out" in 4L, that suggests the tires had pretty good traction. It wouldn't be too unreasonable in my estimation that 4H just didn't have enough torque to move the truck or spin the wheels. Unless you have some other reason to suspect a problem, I don't know that I'd worry too much.

4. Lil Butch

Lil Butch New Member

Guys i really apperciate the input , I just wasn't sure about it, being i know jack squat about transmissions. Yall have eased my mind cause that is really the only thing i've noticed that got me worried thanks agian

5. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I've done my share of wheeling and sand has advantages and disadvantages for good wheeling. Wet sand though it heavy and it binds stuff up pretty tight. Did you have full air in your tires at the time, or were you trying to float your tires with low PSI on top of the sand, like going in sand dunes?

Driving in sand is always tricky, so they say to always keep your momentum when driving in a tight sandy spot. We used to lower the pressure down to about 10 psi or even lower when wheeling in sand dunes. This is one primary reason, the wheels get very rigid and don't do well in sand at times.

6. Lil Butch

Lil Butch New Member

I actually had full pressure in my tires, I had gone on a road trip the week before. I usually bag them down when I'm in sand but didn't bother with it this day.