1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Noise at high speeds in front driver side wheel area

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by ccpotter, Oct 3, 2011.

1. ccpotter

ccpotter New Member

I have a 2003 chevy silverado that has a weird muffle whooble noise in the front driver side tire area. It was very loud a month back so I did a complete break job (discs + rotors) and now it is not as bad but it is still there. Anyone have any idea what it could be? Bearings? other? The truck tracks well so I do not think that it could be an alignment issue. Thanks!
  2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Sounds to me like it is a bad pass front wheel bearing.. they cost around $100-$130 and take about 45 min to change.
  3. ccpotter

ccpotter New Member

Is this a situation where I should replace both front bearing assemblies at the same time or should I do them as I have problems? Thanks for your prompt response.
  4. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I agree 100% with Murdog, on the problem being with the front Wheel Hub Bearings.....its a common Problem on these model Trucks/SUV's......On replacing them both it all depends, I would say that if your Budget allows you to replace both of the Wheel Hub Bearings at the same time go for it......Check both and if you feel that the other one has no problems at this time, you could replace it later when your Budget allows for it.....but keep an eye on it.

Edit:....When I replaced my Bearings.....$$$ was Tight, I did One and then the other a month later.
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  5. jdennis44

jdennis44 Rockstar 100 Posts

x3. sounds to me like the bearing!
  6. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

And living here in MN i agree with the change as money allows. to bad your not in the local area to me i could help you knock it out!
  7. Zzyzx

Zzyzx Member

If you can afford to do both at once, definitely go for it. I just did it recently, and the truck drives like a dream. I hadn't realized how bad it really was, just a weird noise at 65-70, but now it's quieter through all the speeds. I think it's just one of those things that sneaks up on you. On these trucks, it's a part you're lucky to get 100k out of. (Mine needed replacing at 97k or so, I believe.)
  8. ccpotter

ccpotter New Member

Thanks all. I will hopefully be tackling it this weekend. The truck is around 90k for miles so make sense and Minnesota salts seem to reek havoc on vehicles fast. Thanks for your responses. I will report back when I am done.