Noise in front suspension ( 05' z71 ) when turning wheel to the left.

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by z715.3, Jan 7, 2013.

Newest Photos

1. z715.3

z715.3 New Member

Hey all, so every time i turn the wheel to the left, the truck makes a weird knocking noise (you can feel it in the steering wheel). it's been doing this for a while. had a few people look at it and no luck. Big O Tires said suspension looks solid and nothing out of place or noticeable damage. A buddy of mine said it could be the bar that turns the wheels (don't know proper term) but i had a mechanic check it and nothing. its pretty frustrating.
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Take a good look at Front driver side CV shaft. Also, does it get worse in 4x4?
  3. z715.3

z715.3 New Member

Thanks Pikey. Anything in particular i should be looking for on the CV shaft? nothing noticeably different on 4x4. i did raise the front a bit using the torsion bars recently (not sure if this is relevant).
  4. Pikey

did you have it aligned after moving the torsion keys? I would look for a torn boot, grab it and wiggle it. I would also do at it with a pry bar and see if anything moves excessively. Also see if the flange on the front diff (where the shaft bolts to) moves when you are prying around. The gear shop I go to says that the drivers side bearing in the front diff is the first one to go on these trucks. Have you jacked it up with the wheel turned left and spun the wheel looking for anything odd?
  5. z715.3

z715.3 New Member

Yes, i had it aligned recently when i bought new wheels. Thanks, i'll try this out this weekend and let you know what i find. hopefully its not a pricey fix if its the bearing. Thanks Pikey.
  6. Pikey

I think that you can change that bearing without dropping the front diff. I know that you can change the seal without dropping it.