1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Noise under dash. Distributor?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Spikes, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Spikes

Spikes New Member

I have been getting an RPM related noise in front of the gas pedal of my '93 GMC 'burb for a while now.
    Today it got louder and the engine runs badly at the same time the sound changes to a 'bad bearing' noise for a few seconds.

Would anyone agree it may be a bad distributor bushing / bearing? If so, what are my options? (Are rebuild parts available? Aftermarket?)

Any other ideas would be greatly welcomed also!

Thanks.
    Carl.

2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Can you detect the noise with the hood open, standing along side the truck?

3. Spikes

Spikes New Member

Not very loudly. I took a length of fuel line, held one end against my ear and 'fished' around for the noise. From under the hood it's not as discernible but using the same method inside the cab places the noise at it's loudest right behind the gas pedal.

4. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

That would lead one to think it has to be something attached to the firewall.
    Does your truck have gas pedal linkage, or is it an electric gas pedal?