1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

noise when driving ~ 2000 K2500 7.4L

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by Indyandy, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Indyandy

Indyandy New Member

2000 K2500 7.4L

Jez, I keep finding more things to fix. When will it end? Anyway, there is a noise under the truck when I am driving. I thought it was the rear brakes, but it doesn't go away when I am stopping or touch the brakes. I think it is in the drive line. I have replaced the carrier bearing 3 times. This noise is not present when I jack up the truck and put it in gear. Even up to 30 mph, but on the ground and rolling, it is there. It sounds like a rubbing high pitch noise. Could it be a u-joint? Or do you think it is the carrier bearing? I hope it is not something in the rear end.

Also, is there a belt that wont squeal after 1000 miles? I have tried Autozone, Advance, and Napa (the belt was 2x $ as much too). They all seem to squeal after 1000 miles and I get tired of replacing them even when they are free replacements.
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

It could be anything from a u-joint to a bad axle bearing in the rear. The axle bearing would make more sense since it only does it with the weight of the truck on it. Can you post a video of the noise? That may help figure out what it is. I have never had the belt issue that you are talking about. Is your tensioner bad? Maybe it is putting too much tension or not enough tension on the belt.
  3. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy New Member 100 Posts

this title made me laugh... noise while driving...
    if there is no noise, your parked.
    LOL
  4. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 100 Posts

Where does it sound like its coming from? Front, rear or under cab? My thoughts would be to change the U joints first... I had a rear axle bearing go once and that is pretty obvious... usually the seal will go bad too and oil will leak into the hub.
  5. Indyandy

Indyandy New Member

The only time I hear it is when I am driving about 25 to 40 mph. Hard to hear above that. It sounds like it is coming from under the truck. It is not localized to where you hear it at one side or the other more. Especially on a bridge, it really is loud. What is the best way to check a ujoint? It can sound like a whistling noise too.

As far as the belt, I have replaced the tensioner and idler pulleys. No difference.
  6. 4x4squared

4x4squared New Member 100 Posts

get under the truck and try to wiggle it in every direction. if theres any play, change it. usually can hear a clunk when going reverse to drive and drive to reverse if it is bad